grip puppies question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I just installed grip puppies and went for a short 50 miler around town. No one had mentioned that the puppies really increase bar diameter. I am home and find my right thumb feels like I have jammed or over extended it (its sore in other words). I don't remember bumping or otherwise twisting it.

Has any one else experienced this after putting on puppies?

I just installed grip puppies and went for a short 50 miler around town. No one had mentioned that the puppies really increase bar diameter. I am home and find my right thumb feels like I have jammed or over extended it (its sore in other words). I don't remember bumping or otherwise twisting it.
No, I did not experience what you describe. I went for the grip puppies because my big hands always felt like they were pinching the small Yamaha grips, and I needed the extra diameter. The puppies helped me to relax my grip a good bit and the foam knocked out the vibes some, overall a great improvement for me. Plus, pull em off and you're right back to unmarred stock grips if you need to.

I'll admit that my hands felt very funky after installing Grip Puppies. Besides the different feel, I find the Grip Puppies to be a net positive. They help me to, as gently as possible, deal with the 2006 progressive throttle pulley. They also provide some vibration insulation. After doing a TBS and installing Grip Puppies, I was able to ride over 1400 miles in one sit with absolutely NO grip/wrist issues. That's about as good as I'll ever need my ergonomic experience on a bike to be; I'll never be a SkooterG.

In summary, give yourself some time to get used to the Grip Puppies. It's hard to imagine they'd make the FJR experience worse for anyone.

FJRFencer, no problem like you described. I think the Grip Puppies allow me to have a little more relaxed grip on the bars, and they help smooth out the vibes. I wouldn't want to ride without them.

definately...

I'm used to bigger Harley grips, however, the grip puppies are even bigger...

However,... one cross country trip worked just fine to squash them down after a bit<G>

mary

I've had 'em for 12K, 'bout a year and I have no qualms at all about them now. They felt strange and my hands did have to adjust to the new position/angle and this took 500 miles or so. But everyone is different and if it doesnt self-correct soon, I would pull the puppies off !

Best of Luck,

Bobby

grip puppies + throttle rocker = no more sore wrist :nono:
actually it took grip puppies + undo center spring + throttle rocker = no more sore wrist

but my left hand thumb and first finger go numb more since putting the puppies on. increasing the diameter now makes it harder to pull the clutch in and was recently a real issue when stuck in a construction backup on the freeway. i used to be able to pull the clutch in for quite a while before my hand would hurt. this time it was pretty immediate. so the left side puppy is coming off before my AR trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
If ya's like the pups larger diameter, but are having thumb and forefinger probs, try the Tacki grips. Larger diameter overall, but tapered at each end for less thumb extension. Usually helps with buzz numbness as well.

137.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have small hands, and I had problems with increasing the grip diameter. I then tried the "Tacky" grips, but the swollen mid section was even more uncomfortable.

I then installed a set of Pro Grip Gel Grips I found at a local shop. About the same diameter as the stock grip, but much "squishier".

The wearing of a soft glove helps alot too, but the main problem to me now is the angle of the bars themselves. I hope to solve this soon.

KM

I removed the bars altogether on Frank, and installed a tiller. Works much better for me, and the nostalgia factor brings in the chiCkzors like mad.

If ya's like the pups larger diameter, but are having thumb and forefinger probs, try the Tacki grips. Larger diameter overall, but tapered at each end for less thumb extension. Usually helps with buzz numbness as well.
+1. It's counterintuitive to have a hard concave grip but it really fits my hands well.

I found the stock grips small and hard. The puppies cured it totally.

Grip puppies + NEP throttle lock.....Awesome. I would pay for comfort but this did it for $30.

I removed the bars altogether on Frank, and installed a tiller. Works much better for me, and the nostalgia factor brings in the chiCkzors like mad.
Are chiCkzors like menduzlan star wars babes? I want one. :blink:

And since the tiller only has one end, you save money as you only need one Grip Puppy! :p

137.jpg

Quick question for Rad or anyone else that has installed this grip: Did you razor-blade off the end or dremel out the end?

Nevermind folks,.

I must have hyper-extended my thumb at work or something. Here it is a week later and I am still sore in that area, and I have not been on the bike. I don't think at this point it was the puppies.