• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Grip warmer pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Thought I'd try this... but not looking forward to dropping 27 bucks for a couple grip warmer pads. CLICKY

Anybody got some used ones out there in forum land?

Gary

darksider #44

Dang Gary, any cheaper and they'd have to pay you to put them on.

Man up and pay the 27.00

This style grip heater really isn't removable/reusable anyhow.

Geez, slick, at least let me give it a try. Yer right, of course: yeah, I can spend the bucks, but I'm gonna feel meat-headed if I fork out the cash only to have a forum member say, I got a set layin' around that I decided not to use, why didn't cha ask??? By the way, haven't heard much from ya lately on the forum... Ya doin' OK?

Beam,

Haven't thought of that yet. I'm only considering this to benefit the forum. I'm thinking that soon enough, the Shorai will be gone. If I buy the set listed above, it comes with an on/off switch and I guess I'll wire it to the battery. You thinking that the extra drain will be counter-productive?

Last edited by a moderator:
...Beam,

Haven't thought of that yet. I'm only considering this to benefit the forum. I'm thinking that soon enough, the Shorai will be gone. If I buy the set listed above, it comes with an on/off switch and I guess I'll wire it to the battery. You thinking that the extra drain will be counter-productive?
I may have been thinking of something entirely different. Oxford is one company that makes grip heaters that wrap around the outside of your grips and closes with Velcro so they are removable. I was thinking of putting one on each side of the battery between the foam spacer and the battery shell to keep the battery warm. Different from trickle current flowing through a power load to keep the battery chemistry warm from current flow. Heck, you would get the benefit of power draw on the battery as well as external heat on the battery. Keep your comprehensive vehicle insurance up to date.

Most heated grips draw 18 watt each; 36 watts total if you only use a switch and not a power controller. Two grips at full power consume ~2.6 amps.

I'll wire it to the battery. You thinking that the extra drain will be counter-productive?
The "drain" is needed...doesn't the battery warm up internally after a few start attempts?

The idea is to load the battery to wake it up. Warming the outside is just a beneficial use of the energy.

edit: Duhhh, I see ionbeam has already made this point

Looks like nobody's stepped up to save my underfunded carcass. Just not feeling like springing for grip heater pads right now. Now I've got another dilemma. It's February, and the cooler weather that we sometimes get around here will be history for another year... within a couple weeks.

Gary

No... But I hear Beemerdons seen his pecker two weeks ago... First time in 4 decades.

Poor mick bastage.. They moms always saying they are exceptional.. To their pet hamsters maybe.