GRMS Radio + StarCom Advanced

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Death Valley ride Friday Feb 13th rapidly arriving. Have two GMRS radios, same exact ones that HaulinAshe uses. These are TWN's old radios.

I know I need a CAB-40 cable and PTT switch.

My issue is all existing StarCom Advanced audio input ports are consumed:

• Radar detector audio
  • GPS navigation
  • XM radio/MP3
  • Blue tooth phone
  • external volume control
I may not be recalling exactly all the audio inputs correctly, but you get the idea; no ports are open.Is it OK to 'double' up an audio connection? E.g. get an 'Y' adapter and run two audio sources in?

Or?

TIA, and flame on Friday dog pile approprite if I missed the bitchin' post describing how to do this... :****:

Sounds like an opportunity to splurge on a new Zumo and then run your MP3 and your blue tooth phone through it. A splitter seems way too inexpensive a solution when you could acquire a greater portion of the budget.

LOL, a beatdown and jimmykick are due!

Called da Man, Jeff at bikeffects.com....

The cab-04 cable has din connection... :blink:

the ppt-03 push to talk switch is the cats meow.

Now then... anyone had any issues with the LI 7200-2 WX Cobra radio power managment muting the Starcom?

LOL, a beatdown and jimmykick are due! Called da Man, Jeff at bikeffects.com....

The cab-04 cable has din connection... :blink:

the ppt-03 push to talk switch is the cats meow.

Now then... anyone had any issues with the LI 7200-2 WX Cobra radio power managment muting the Starcom?

Nope. No problem with any B2B radio muting the Starcom.

However, I suggest that you just turn the VOX to zero and learn to live with it that way. I went round and round with Starcom, and we eventually got around to fix that circuit by substituting the right resistance (1k Ohm as I recall) into the PTT module. However...

What I subsequently found was that with the VOX enabled at all, the wind into the passenger's helmet is enough to unmute the VOX circuit and causes problems by causing the music to cut in and out. Just take my advice and forget about vox altogether. :dribble:

It does mean that you need to keep the music volume low enough that you can hear each other over it, without muting, but you will be far happier (with lower blood pressure) in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damned if I didn't forget about that DIN plug. Knew Jeff would have the answer tho B)

One thing to be aware of Don, I orriginally mounted my radio up on the handlebars and routed the wiring under the tank to my starcomm under the seat. I wound up getting wierd VOX/muting problems when I was going down the road, very annoying to accellerate and have my ipod mute. It turned out the radio cabling was picking up noise from under the tank, and muting my audio. I believe it was from the fuel pump, but not really sure. I moved the radio to the under the seat in the back of the bike, and haven't had a problem since.