Ground Loop Isolator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All:

After my crash and the bike being put back together I get a lot of whine in the radio and hear clicking from switches and such. I have narrowed it down to the Garmin Zumo which runs through the J&MCB2003. If I turn off the Garmin then no issues so the J&M Filter is fine. Did not do this prior to the crash. I am guess a ground difference in the wiring but can I just add the Ground Loop Isolator on the audio in line between the two and fix this?

Thanks,

How is your power source grounded for the two devices?

Ferrite cores are really cheap, and could be used inline on the connector cable(s) to take out the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was awhile ago that I wired, but I seem to recall grounding to frame or using the windshield circuit when I disabled the auto retract feature.

Could there have been changes made to farkle grounding or perhaps a missing ground? Since you've narrowed it down to the Zumo, begin there.

Good luck!

--G

I grounded my Autocom system through the Fuzeblock directly to the battery ground. Never a bit of noise out of it. Gen II bikes with all the spider grounds seems like it might be a good idea to avoid frame or circuit grounds and go direct to battery on comm systems. There aren't many circuits that need that, but anything used for music, communications and similar electronics, it's just common sense.