Groundwire Safety Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Scotland

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Scotlad and have a 2007 California spec FJR and I have recently heard about the Yamaha Safety Recall for the groundwire fault. I have not been contacted by my dealer or Yamaha and am wondering if anyone can direct me to where I can find the VIN numbers of the affected vehicles?

Hi,

I live in Scotlad and have a 2007 California spec FJR and I have recently heard about the Yamaha Safety Recall for the groundwire fault. I have not been contacted by my dealer or Yamaha and am wondering if anyone can direct me to where I can find the VIN numbers of the affected vehicles?
I would think the easiest procedure would be to call your dealer, and give them the VIN to see if your bike was included in any recall.

Hi,

It is affected so call the dealer first and have them check. If you don't get any where with the dealer go Yamaha Corporate. OR you could just install Brodie's harness yourself for a hundred bucks and call it good.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, Yamaha UK will not deal with issues as the bike was an import from the US market. I will try the US Yamaha e mail address as that is probably the best route.

Thanks again.

You may be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle if it's left the country and been road registered.

The recall is a U.S. recall (maybe North America rather than just U.S.) and I'm sure Yamaha's responsibility for U.S. bikes ends if it's not a U.S. bike any more.

For what its worth... I had my 07 into the dealership for an insurance estimate. (ZERO MPH Crash) They did a check on my VIN number and found that my bike needed the safety recall on the ground harness. They were not going to let me leave on the bike because it was a "Safety Issue".

By just dumb luck they had the parts to perform the fix. And I was only stranded there for a couple hours. If they would have had to order the parts it would have been a number of days without the feej. Just a warning, Some anal dealerships may take your bike off the road if you need the recall performed.

I had recieved a letter from Yamaha about the recall, just wasn't planing on having it done that particular day.

The recall is worldwide, however machines exported from the original distributor's domain are *NOT* covered - the local distributor in Scotland (or the UK) made no money and someone imported the vehicle which means that all risks were assumed.

Yamaha USA will likely ignore you if you tell them you are in Scotland (then again it IS a free call on Skype and nothing ventured, nothing gained).

Recall work must be done by dealers, in any case and Yamaha USA will only reimburse US dealers, so even if they agreed to perform the recall, they would likely insist that the work be done by a dealer in the US and that just isn't practical.

As was suggested, the Brody harness is likely the best route to go if your S4 spider hasn't overheated - and even if it has, but isnp;t badly fried you can clean it up, tighten the connections and plug Brody's accessory wires in - it is a better solution than Yamaha's in any case.

While you are trying to decide the best route to take I would strongly recommend that you open all of your spider connections and spray with ACF-50. With the weather like it is you probably can't do much else in Scotland right now :rolleyes:

Don

I imported a US FJR into Canada.

After explaining that my FJR was a US bike and that it had a Brodie harness installed, the local dealer confirmed that the recall is covered, no problem whatsoever. I haven't gone to the dealer yet, but I will have it done at some point.

I suppose it could be because Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA are very closely related. I have to wonder whether there actually was an official recall issued yet in Scotland or your related region. It seems to me it would be in Yamaha's best interest to cover your bike regardless. Try calling another dealer in your area.

If they cover it, it will be by way of a goodwill adjustment.

Did you get a recall letter from Yamaha Canada? Did your dealer call in for authrosation or did he simply tell you without checking?

We had a member here from Scotland a couple of years ago who came here when he had all kinds of issues with his US spec AE and, while he did manage to get one warranty service (something minor), was blown off by Yamaha when something more serious went wrong and he ended up scrapping the machine.

Or was it Ireland?

Some anal dealerships may take your bike off the road if you need the recall performed.
It's the law. If it's a safety issue, and this one is, they cannot return your bike once they have it until the recall is done. It's not "anal dealers," it's dealers not wanting to face big fines or big liability lawsuits.

You could try contatcting Taz Motorcycles in Peterborough. They have been importing US FJR bikes for several years. If anyone can point you in the right direction it should be them. :rolleyes:

Either way I wouldn't get too concerned about it, if Yamahaha are not prepared to help you out, you have several options:

1. Do nothing (there haven't been many reported failures in the UK).

2. Buy and install the Brodie fix (available on the forum).

3. Buy and install the Roadrunner fix (available on the forum).

4. Make and install your own version of the cheapo Yamahaha 'fix'.

Good luck whichever way you go ;)

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Some anal dealerships may take your bike off the road if you need the recall performed.
It's the law. If it's a safety issue, and this one is, they cannot return your bike once they have it until the recall is done. It's not "anal dealers," it's dealers not wanting to face big fines or big liability lawsuits.
One more example of how motorcyclists are second-class citizens. If your car was recalled for a safety issue and had to be in the shop for several days, they'd have to give you a loaner.

OTOH, if you just drop in (by cage or whatever) to inquire, or just phone in, they cannot force you to bring it in or "take it off the road". But you can confirm they have the parts, then take it in when convenient. Next, install the Brodie or Roadrunner harnesses. At minimum inspect and lube your spiders as the UK environment for bikes is conducive to corrosion.

If they cover it, it will be by way of a goodwill adjustment.

Did you get a recall letter from Yamaha Canada? Did your dealer call in for authrosation or did he simply tell you without checking?
I did not get a recall letter from Yamaha Canada and the dealer did have to call Yamaha or someone else with the VIN to confirm that my bike was covered. It was confirmed the next day. I don't need it done but I'm glad it's an approved recall item that I may get done someday.

You could try contatcting Taz Motorcycles in Peterborough. They have been importing US FJR bikes for several years. If anyone can point you in the right direction it should be them. :rolleyes:

Either way I wouldn't get too concerned about it, if Yamahaha are not prepared to help you out, you have several options:

1. Do nothing (there haven't been many reported failures in the UK).

2. Buy and install the Brodie fix (available on the forum).

3. Buy and install the Roadrunner fix (available on the forum).

4. Make and install your own version of the cheapo Yamahaha 'fix'.

Good luck whichever way you go ;)

Don
I made the mistake of buying my US imported fjr from Taz. Even had it serviced by them for the promise of a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Bad move.

Had issues with the wiring after the first winter, starting to corrode I was told. The first couple they tidied up, but then said the warranty didn't cover corrosion and as I used the bike all year round basically bad luck.

I informed Taz of the recall in July when it was made offical. I found out that they finaly got the earthing wire last week. I had previously enquired about the whole harness, but they just said it was a corrosion problem so they wouldn't couldn't replace it.

Last year while in Corsica the cooling system went bang and the local yam dealer thought it was due to a blown head gasket. I called Taz telling them the bike was coming back on a trailer and they pointed out that the head gasket wasn't a warranty item! Never again, but also need to learn to do my own stuff on the bike.

Also, Tried to buy a brodie harness last week and see that he's not selling them anymore, anyone know why? Will go for the roadrunner instead.