Group buy on penske shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I am curious as to how everyone is sprung.

My 8981 penske shock came in today for my 06.

I have a 750lb spring (its on the ouside of the box) for my 230lb frame ride 2 up on occasion with a topcase.

I did a search and the 06 stock rear on hard is 680lbs per Traxxion Dynamics posts.

How bout you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 200 pounds and my Penske shows 7x700 for my AE. So far so good. Seems a little stiff out of the box. Not OEM bad, certainly better. Perhaps some break in time is in order. And the bike isn't loaded as much as usual. Time to soften the ride a click or two.

Mine also reads 7 x 700. I'll install this week-end and hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for me to test ride.

I am curious as to how everyone is sprung.My 8981 penske shock came in today for my 06.

I have a 750lb spring (its on the ouside of the box) for my 230lb frame ride 2 up on occasion with a topcase.

I did a search and the 06 stock rear on hard is 680lbs per Traxxion Dynamics posts.

How bout you?
I'm 230# and using the 8981 on my AE with 850# spring per Traxxion Dynamics recommendation. Works well for me. Also have their fork cartridges & springs.

I am curious as to how everyone is sprung.My 8981 penske shock came in today for my 06.

How bout you?
I'm 230# and using the 8981 on my AE with 850# spring per Traxxion Dynamics recommendation. Works well for me. Also have their fork cartridges & springs.
Mine is a 900# on the 8981 set per Lee at Traxxion Dynamics

350# rider, Mostly solo, More sport style rides

How bout you?
That is 100lb spring rate diff for the same shock/rider weight.

I wonder why so large a diff on the same shock from diff suspension guys. Could there be that much difference in valving?

I have a some-what aggressive riding style. How bout you?

*****ADMINS****

Should this move to Tech discussions?

We tried to calculate proper spring rates for everybody, It's just hard to come up with springs for everyone. Extra bags, passenger 40% of the time, Fuel cell and extra bags etc. We opted for just a little more preload to keep comfort levels on touring bikes. After riding and spending some time on the new Penske shocks, if anyone that desires a stiffer spring we will send one free of charge. Just send us the other back to us for inventory.

I am 6'3" 300lbs W/O gear, ride solo 100% of the time. 2x a year I ride fully loaded with top case.

950lb spring.

I love it.

I am 6'3" 300lbs W/O gear, ride solo 100% of the time. 2x a year I ride fully loaded with top case.
950lb spring.

I love it.
Fhaze,

NASCAR just called. They need their spring back. They need it for the right front at Bristol. :blink:

We tried to calculate proper spring rates for everybody, It's just hard to come up with springs for everyone. Extra bags, passenger 40% of the time, Fuel cell and extra bags etc. We opted for just a little more preload to keep comfort levels on touring bikes. After riding and spending some time on the new Penske shocks, if anyone that desires a stiffer spring we will send one free of charge. Just send us the other back to us for inventory.
You mean we can change the springs ourselves? No "special" tools? Wow! How cool is that?

That's one advantage of using a Penske shock....another big plus is Dave's (GP Suspension) willingness to help & share information.....thanks Dave..... :good: .....

Yep........Very Cool indeed.

Thanks Dave!