Haandle Bar/ Throttle Meister

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend rider

Reaction score
I am installing my throttle meister and have the throttle side done, and works as designed. The left side, the threaded inside ring where the bar end weight bolts to does not want to come out with the tool sent with the throttle meister. /does any one have any suggestions on an easy way to remove that ring? I am leaving on a 14 day trip to the North West on 9/9/05. I do not want to ruin my bar in the process helpor ideas would be appreciated , thanks weekend rider :agent:

Go and buy a regular bolt of the same thread and length with the supplied spacer and use a wrench and out it comes. The tool that TM sends is junk.

Don't be afraid to put some beef into it either as that is what it takes

I pulled mine two weeks ago and found other peoples suggestion worked well. Spray WD40 into the thread to lube the insert from the inside end and then try using the insert remover. It wasn't the easiest thing to get out, but it did work. The other thing these guys said was to make sure the device Throttlemeister sent is square on the bar end. Some even said to let it soak over night and maybe under pressure (with the screw tightened as much as you can). I hope you don't damage the handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had exactly the same problem on the left side. For me, turns out some of the adhesive used to hold the grip on the bar got into that little insert. I ended up pulling the core out and the metal sleeve was still stuck in there! I wrecked the bar like a damn dummy and had to replace it. There was one other guy who had this trouble and with extreme care and patience he got the thing out without ruining the bar. If you are patient and don't get pissed you'll eventually get it out. Try the WD-40 first (didn't help me but has helped some others). If WD-40 ain't makin it happen, you might try some other lubes/solvents. Just use caution with solvents so you don't mar the paint. And keeping the puller aligned is important too. Good luck!!

I'm in aggrement here. I went to the hardware store and got a real bolt, used a wrench and lubed the threads. Bingo!

I also had to get a real bolt from the hardware store plus soaking the sleeve in WD40 overnight. Was a PITA but it did finally work. Paitence is the key. :agent:

Straight and slow, their tool worked but I could where it could be a PITA if you got it cross-threaded. Not the best quality piece I have ever seen, to call it a "tool" is a bit of a stretch. That said I really do like the TM.

thanks for all the information and especially about using patience. I will work on it to

morro and have it off this weekend . thanks again

weeekend rider :alien:

Success but tough to get out. The rubber center pulled out, there was so much glue on the metal sleve,I had to chiesel it out. but it is out. Here is another way to get the insert out, Loosenthe srew a couple of turns than take a screw driver and put it between the end weight and the bar and than use a three to five pound sledge and hammer it out of there. That is how the mencanic ant the shop here gets them out this is the first that broke on him.. thanks :assasin: