hair spray or glue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I have searched, but can't find a authoritative answer to this ...

I am installing the G2 throttle cam w/ BMW sport grips. Then vista cruise. Going to EOM and want to try this out. I will do the shifting out of R/L to avoid the gap per Warchild's page.

I was thinking of using soap water to install the BMW grips on the G2, but then again I feel that the grip might rotate on throttle back/forth. The G2 has a knurled outer center surface ... is that enough to prevent a rotation?

Or did you use hair spray inside the grips or glued them on?

If glue, which kind?

I didnt replace mine with BMW grips when I did the G2, but with Stock heated grips I didnt need anything, I just used an airhose to get them back over and they are on there tight. At the time, the forum members were recomending HAIRSPRAY if they slipped though.

I have searched, but can't find a authoritative answer to this ...
I am installing the G2 throttle cam w/ BMW sport grips. Then vista cruise. Going to EOM and want to try this out. I will do the shifting out of R/L to avoid the gap per Warchild's page.

I was thinking of using soap water to install the BMW grips on the G2, but then again I feel that the grip might rotate on throttle back/forth. The G2 has a knurled outer center surface ... is that enough to prevent a rotation?

Or did you use hair spray inside the grips or glued them on?

If glue, which kind?
I used hairspray to reinstall the stock grips, and just soap and water to add the grip puppies some months later ... nothing has slipped yet.

spray paint. hair spray is ok unless you ride in a lot of rain. water will dissolve it and make the grip loose until it dries out again.

Renthal grip glue (available at most MX shops), or spray paint if not available. Any other brand of grip glue is no better than hairspray IMO. But you better be FAST with Renthal glue.

Soapy water to put on and safety wire to secure.

I know these were not available choices, but that's what I do and have never had an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
"bergs" - safety wire?

ok. so far we have:

- soapy water

- hairspray

- spray paint

- Grip Glue / Renthal Glue / Gorilla Glue (be FAST)

- rubbing alcohol ... hmmm what does that do diff than soapy water?

- air-hose under grip - off/on

Thanks for the replies. I think I will us some type of glue to be sure it doesn't slip.

Soapy water to put on and safety wire to secure.
I know these were not available choices, but that's what I do and have never had an issue.

"bergs" - safety wire?
Let's see if this works...

bar23.jpg

Didn't know there is a gadget to put it on!Where did you buy these things ...? :blink:
Freedom Cycle in Concord, NH

They can be had (or ordered) in most 'cycle-type places....the pic I posted is from a mountain bike website....there's is "made" by ParkTool (I think)

Other sources are:

Parts Unlimited

Tucker Rocky

Harbor Freight

Street and Competition

IMHO, you should gauge the useage-to-cost ratio. I use this stuff all the time on the race bike.....if you plan on using it once or twice, it might not be worth it to make a purchase.

Since you're in NJ, I won't have a problem sending these items to you but I need your word that I'll get them back within a specified amount of time.

That's right, I have no other use for it ...

PM sent.

Didn't know there is a gadget to put it on!Where did you buy these things ...? :blink:
Freedom Cycle in Concord, NH

They can be had (or ordered) in most 'cycle-type places....the pic I posted is from a mountain bike website....there's is "made" by ParkTool (I think)

Other sources are:

Parts Unlimited

Tucker Rocky

Harbor Freight

Street and Competition

IMHO, you should gauge the useage-to-cost ratio. I use this stuff all the time on the race bike.....if you plan on using it once or twice, it might not be worth it to make a purchase.

Since you're in NJ, I won't have a problem sending these items to you but I need your word that I'll get them back within a specified amount of time.

I used grip glue on the left and nothing on the right. The G2 will hold the grip in place. I just returned from a thousand mile trip, lots of curves, with no problems, but I am not sure I like the BMW sport grips better than stock and may put the stock grips back on.

Jer

I used grip glue on the left and nothing on the right. The G2 will hold the grip in place. I just returned from a thousand mile trip, lots of curves, with no problems, but I am not sure I like the BMW sport grips better than stock and may put the stock grips back on.

Jer

Jer

Last edited by a moderator:
Non aerosol hair spray is the way to go. I've had my grips on and off several times on different scooters and it's compressed air for removal and hair spray to install, for no grip slipping.

OBD