Hand Numbness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboy

Reaction score
Got my first substantial ride in today of a little over 200 miles on my new 08 FJR. Interstate and 2-lane country roads - wind gusts were killer so I was probably pressing on the bars a bit. After about the first 1/2 hour I started getting extreme numbness mainly in my throttle hand that lasted the rest of the day. Every thing else felt good - no back pain or knee pain. I'm a 6'-0" 195lb. 50-year-old trying his best to stay young. (my previous bike was a 750 Shadow) Any suggestions? - maybe I just need to get used to the bike and/or install handlebar risers. Regarding the risers what brand and type are reccommended? As always, thanks much for all the great insight. <_<

Your grabing too tight on the throttle, try a throttle rocker or cramp buster, it will have loosen you grip

Got my first substantial ride in today of a little over 200 miles on my new 08 FJR. Interstate and 2-lane country roads - wind gusts were killer so I was probably pressing on the bars a bit. After about the first 1/2 hour I started getting extreme numbness mainly in my throttle hand that lasted the rest of the day. Every thing else felt good - no back pain or knee pain. I'm a 6'-0" 195lb. 50-year-old trying his best to stay young. (my previous bike was a 750 Shadow) Any suggestions? - maybe I just need to get used to the bike and/or install handlebar risers. Regarding the risers what brand and type are reccommended? As always, thanks much for all the great insight. <_<
I get the same thing in my throttle hand when I am gripping to tightly to the throttle. The risers, throttle spring unwind and grip puppies have helped this a lot but holding the throttle a little loser really helps.

Good luck.

In addition to all the suggestions above, there are a few things you can do to help with your thottle hand issues...

1. Search the Forum and find the directions on how to allow one revolution of the throttle spring to unwind, thus reducing the force needed to open the throttle.

2. Fatten-up those skinny grips on this bike. You can order the Grip puppies, or be innovative in other ways on just how to fatten up the grip. Fatter grips change the required force ratios and make the throttle grip seem easier to roll on.

3. Install a Vista Cruise. (another forum search) Vista Cruise is a throttle locking mechanism that I find invaluable. I can't tell you how much I use that darn thing on every ride. The minute your throttle hand seems a little tired, flip on the Vista Cruise, take your hand off the throttle and keep it off as long as you like. For roughly $30, I consider it a must-have farkle for this bike.

4. Keep at it...your metacarpal muscles and wrist ligaments will strengthen as you continue to ride.

As far as the riser, I suggest you ride the FJR for a couple of thousand miles before you start passing judgement on the bike and how it's affecting your ergonomics. Sure, a riser might ultimately be something for you, but it just as well may not be. Either way, you really don't know right now cause you havent been in the saddle long enough. And give the stock saddle a chance..you see lots of bitching on this forum about the stock saddle. My experience is that the more you ride it, the better it gets and conforms. That said, there are lots of good aftermarket saddles if that ever turns out to be an issue for you.

You have a great bike. We all do. Ride the thing for a while, then after that, you can make changes to improve issues that the stock configuration consistently presents that may be affecting your comfort or ride enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, too tight a grip will do this, it certainly did it to me.

If you're too tense, ease off (as you obviously realise you were holding too tight). It's amazing how little hold you need to keep the bike reasonably steady even in gusting 70mph winds (at least, that's what I found, solo, no top box, stock screen at highest setting, speeds 35-70mph).

If you find you need to grip tightly simply to hold the throttle open, do the centre spring release, (click here), this usefully reduces the hold you need.

If that is insufficient, add something to help you hold the throttle with less squeezing. I did it by wrapping a piece of rubber round the grip:

(Click on image for larger view)

Described here.

I had problems at first too, I was considering the helis. Someone here suggested the Grip Puppies. I tried them and they made a HUGE difference for me. Very little cost for a big benefit.

All good advice,

I would try the Cramp Buster & Grip Puppies & time in the saddle before making any big changes.

My .02

A.C.

I'll say relax your grip and don't buy any of those grips and vista cruises or spring releases for now.

Let your body muscles adjust to the bike's ergo and controls. It will be a little painful but its worth the effort. Once your body muscles adjusts you should be OK.

Buy the crampbuster or vista cruises AFTER this body training period. Who knows, you might not need those farkles.

Hand grip, back muscle and hand exercises will also help a lot to hasten the adjustment period.

Take a look at these. www.throttlemeister.com I have these on my bike and I honestly don't know how anyone rides any distance without some kind of throttle lock. I have tried other brands but these are the best. Takes a little time to get used to, but they really help with the throttle hand cramping.

As others have said, your right side wrist discomfort is most likely due to a tight throttle grip and not yet being in "riding shape". Even those of us that work out probably don't exercise the specific muscles involved in holding the throttle open. You can strengthen your forearm muscles using various grip devices, or just keep at it and continue riding. It will get better by itself.

You can reduce the discomfort immediately by lowering the throttle's spring tension and/or by using a throttle rocker, of which I am a big fan. The handle bar risers are more for changing your back angle, than improving wrist pain. Better to learn to ride with your weight supported by your legs and not your wrists.

Take a look at these. www.throttlemeister.com I have these on my bike and I honestly don't know how anyone rides any distance without some kind of throttle lock. I have tried other brands but these are the best. Takes a little time to get used to, but they really help with the throttle hand cramping.
I like them too. Not only do they give you a lock but they add weight to cut down on vibrations.

One way to make sure you relaxed is when your riding you should be able to move your arms/elbows like your shaking them out if you elbow are not loose you too stiff and mostly gripping too much, try gripping your grips with just your thumb and index fingers with a light touch and not put your weight on the bars and when you braking you should have the same grip,use your legs to squeeze the tank and torso to keep from putting all your weight on the bars when stopping. I find it takes around 1500 mile to get used to a new bike, even if I ride all the time good luck and JUST RELAX!!!

Same thing happened to me. Before my first hour of riding was over I realized 2 things; how much I love this bike and… my hands are numb.

For me the fix was loosening my grip, un-stiffing my elbows, and not supporting my upper body weight with my wrists. If you pay attention, you can change those habits real quick.

All the advice here is your ticket to comfort. Relaxation is a key aspect, bar end weights are cheap and easy as are grip puppies and the Vista Cruise throttle lock to permit some periodic exercise of the fingers, and to wave with your right hand as you blow by those cruisers and BMW's!

Enjoy your ride.

I was told to ride with index and/or middle finger resting on the brake lever. That helped! I do have carpel tunnel and installed a heli triple tree, although it was costly it was well worth it for me. I have a brake away cruise and have yet to use it. I'm hoping the will help for longer rides. Good Luck! Jerry

I was told to ride with index and/or middle finger resting on the brake lever. That helped! I do have carpel tunnel and installed a heli triple tree, although it was costly it was well worth it for me. I have a brake away cruise and have yet to use it. I'm hoping the will help for longer rides. Good Luck! Jerry
I am 55 with a slight bit of arthritis in my right wrist and hand. I put GenMar risers and a BrakeAway throttle lock on an '05 FJR. Huge improvement. BTW, the BrakeAway throttle lock is well worth the $195 price. Its made of machined aluminum, and once engaged, can be cancelled by either hitting a cancel button or tapping your front brake lever. Speed adjustment while engaged is very smooth and precise. You get what you pay for.

As others have said, your right side wrist discomfort is most likely due to a tight throttle grip and not yet being in "riding shape". Even those of us that work out probably don't exercise the specific muscles involved in holding the throttle open. You can strengthen your forearm muscles using various grip devices, or just keep at it and continue riding. It will get better by itself.
You can reduce the discomfort immediately by lowering the throttle's spring tension and/or by using a throttle rocker, of which I am a big fan. The handle bar risers are more for changing your back angle, than improving wrist pain. Better to learn to ride with your weight supported by your legs and not your wrists.

I have removed one of the "locking pins" that hold the handle bars solid and the ends at a angle that was not conforable for me. I was able to move the bars so that my hands rest squarely on the grips and my wrists are much better. There are two pins and I took out the outer one 10,000 miles ago and no problem. The one pin is rather hard to get out but well worth it.