Handlsing with topcase attached

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done
Reaction score
Just noticed today that the handling really sucks with the topcase attached (first time I've ridden any distance with it on). The back end feels like it's dancing around.

Rock solid without it.

Anyone else notice this?

I keep catching the top corner of it in my mirror and think someone is tailgating me as well.

I went on a 400-mile ride Saturday with my factory touring trunk and really didn't notice.

Most of my ride was through the twisties but some parts were straight. At one point, I hit well above triple digits but the bike was as stable as a rock.

When there are strong cross winds, I definitely feel it with the trunk

I rode last year to HyderSeek with my GIVI 52L on board. No noticeable issues. Total mileage: 2350. I have heard complaints though and I do prefer to not run the topcase. Really any bags at all if I can get away with it. I just feel sportier that way.

I have the Givi 52 and I hate what it does to the bike when I have it on by itself. Now admittedly, it's not really an issue for me until over 75 and/or a crosswind is present. At times its been downright unnerving to the point that I was thinking of selling it and going with a large Motofizz. Instead I got a Nelson Rigg CL200 and mounted it on the pillion. Problem solved. It s now solid to 130. It seems that big gap from my back to the topcase does bad aero stuff. Filling in that gap totally changed the handling and made me a happy guy. Also, the CL200 looks cool and holds a ton of stuff including my laptop. I mounted it with the curved side toward my back and the flat siide toward the Givi. I have pics but don't know how to post them here.See https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23485, that's where I got the idea.

Wow, I just installed my factory topcase tonight, Took it for a quick spin and didnt feel any squirrliness. dr

]

Wow, I just installed my factory topcase tonight, Took it for a quick spin and didnt feel any squirrliness. dr

I guess I felt a little buffeting when I first put on the Givi 52. "Dancing" is a bit strong for what I felt.

I leave it on pretty much all the time and I stopped noticing it pretty quickly.

The dancing you may be experiencing may be the trunk moving around within the mount. This is the first bike I've owned with removable hard cases and complained about the bumps and squeaks that came with it. And doubly so when I added the top case! What I've done to relieve some of this is to add a thin coat of silicone to all the mounting points to tighten them up a little and with the top case I added a strip of rubber weather proofing to the forward slat and some felt to the latch area. Now the trunk doesn't squeak or move around at all.

I went on a 400-mile ride Saturday with my factory touring trunk and really didn't notice.
Most of my ride was through the twisties but some parts were straight. At one point, I hit well above triple digits but the bike was as stable as a rock.

When there are strong cross winds, I definitely feel it with the trunk

I didn't notice a crosswind, but the back end definitely felt a bit loose. Never felt that way before putting on trunk.

mferriter,

I had the same thing happen to me and after I firmed up the suspension, the problem went away. I am not sure when I put on the Michelin PR tires, but I think this helped as well.

nope. Just did that 1200 mile run a couple months ago with trunk and sidebags on. No issues at speeds up to 120mph (gps verified). Had stuff in all three so none were empty.

only issues I had were passing large trucks, the buffeting got pretty rough. Course I have issues with cars going thru the "bow wave" of semis. crosswinds in some areas caused a bit of unsteadiness too.

I did do suspension adjustments a year ago based on a technical thread here, so not sure if there would have been a difference or not. Rear shock also set to the "hard" setting.

I have a Givi that I keep on all the time. Mine has been known to buffet when I get above 90 (which is rare for me) with a cross wind.

I have a large Shad top case . . . when it's on and I'm riding solo I notice a bit of buffeting . . . nothing unnerving and certainly not "dancing"

When you are solo with a topbox the airflow tries to close behind you, then is forced apart by the topbox. The air flowing around the topbox doesn't always 'spill' equally each side - depends on all sorts of things - your riding position, 'angle of attack' of wind (from front, side, whatever), natural tendency for air to flow to areas of low pressure, etc.

Fill this space (with a pillion, for example) and the airflow is smoothed, and so is your ride. When riding in certain conditions with my GIVI E52 I can get a really noticable effect, and at other times no effect at all. Below 110kph (70mph) I hardly ever notice it, and I never have a problem when I have a pillion filling the gap.

Just noticed today that the handling really sucks with the topcase attached (first time I've ridden any distance with it on). The back end feels like it's dancing around.
Rock solid without it.

Anyone else notice this?

I keep catching the top corner of it in my mirror and think someone is tailgating me as well.
I have a Bestem box, which is on the smallish side for a top box, and just went down to Medford and back last weekend with plenty of time at MUCH higher then posted speeds. Did I just say that? :lol:

And yes, it does the same thing for me on the FJR at higher speeds (like >75mph), the back wheel is dancing around. The box itself does not move around on the mount though, it's 100% solid, so it has to be all in the airflow. All three bags/boxes were loaded for the trip, and the back suspension is set per the suspension recommendation post on this forum. Also, I had this box on my previous bike without any negative impact on the ride. Made me wonder at first with the FJR if my back wheel was suddenly badly out of balance. I'll check out the suggestion of putting something on the pillion to get the airspace filled up.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting item to add when discussing the buffeting is what windscreen you are using. Does it make a difference? For example, the Rifle screens allow a lot more air to pass under the screen, which decreases the back pressure you feel with a stock screen. I wonder if this smooths out the air enough between the rider and the top case so that any buffeting is lessened? If you feel a lot of buffeting, could you change screens to reduce the effect?

I have found the screen does have an effect. The smaller the screen, and lower (in other words, smaller frontal area) seems to minimise the disturbed airflow effect. This observation is subjective. I ride with a screen that is about 4 in higher and 2 in wider than stock, and if I feel the 'airflow effect' (when riding fast with a topbox and no pillion) lowering the screen improves 'steadiness'.

Rock solid without it.

Anyone else notice this?

I ride my '08 with both side cases and the factory top box 37 miles each way to work. Most of it is freeway and I frequently see well above triple digits. Rock steady. Throttlemeister on and I can take both hands off.