Harbor Freight Dolly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc

Reaction score
Before I picked up the bike, I bought this dolly from Harbor Freight as I was concerned about manouvering the bike in the garage.

I found this to be a good alternative as it is rather easy to move the bike close to the wall.

I added a piece of plywood for the side stand tray so that the bike would not lean too much.

FJRonDolly.jpg

From behind:

FJRonDolly-Back.jpg

And how does it behave when you drive on and off? Pretty clever way to keep your bikes more out of the way in the garage.

If you see, it has two levers that lower the grey "anchor". I ride it on and off and the dolly does not move.

In my case, this is the only way to park the bike in the garage; with my previous bike it was not a problem with the car parked, but with the FJR I would not dare...

Very cool!!!

I have seen this at HF and have posted this as an alternative for others on the forum. Now I see it in use, with a cool bike! Glad it works well for you.

Thanks for sharing this and letting us know of the coupon and online deal. ;)

+1

have had mine for 6 months now. I did the same with the plywood under the side stand to make it more verticle. Additionally, I bolted a piece of angle iron perpendicular to the long rail and have eye bolts on each end. from these I strap the driver's pegs for more stability when rolling. Probably overbuilt but that is my nature. I found mine rolls easily when I push with my foot on the dolly instead of pulling or pushing on the bike on the dolly.

A word of caution to those wanting to order over the internet. The price may be right but if you get one, as I did, w/o all the parts you're pretty much hosed. There is dealing with the offshore customer support, the backorder, the months of delays and the misleading promises I received. I finally found a helpful HF store employee that gave me a piece off one of their in-store dollies so I could complete the assembly. He then worked with HF to get his missing piece replaced. The missing pieces were the connecting plates that join the two halves of the rails. I was almost to the point of having pieces fab'ed at some shop then this helpful guy came through.

I'd have driven the several miles to the store to buy one but my wife bought it for me over the internet and it was delivered a few days before Xmas, '08 w/o the connecting plates. I dealt with them over the phone for literally months until the store employee helped me out in April or May, I forget. Alls well that ends well and I like the product. The price was on sale at $99.

+1have had mine for 6 months now. I did the same with the plywood under the side stand to make it more verticle. Additionally, I bolted a piece of angle iron perpendicular to the long rail and have eye bolts on each end. from these I strap the driver's pegs for more stability when rolling. Probably overbuilt but that is my nature. I found mine rolls easily when I push with my foot on the dolly instead of pulling or pushing on the bike on the dolly.

A word of caution to those wanting to order over the internet. The price may be right but if you get one, as I did, w/o all the parts you're pretty much hosed. There is dealing with the offshore customer support, the backorder, the months of delays and the misleading promises I received. I finally found a helpful HF store employee that gave me a piece off one of their in-store dollies so I could complete the assembly. He then worked with HF to get his missing piece replaced. The missing pieces were the connecting plates that join the two halves of the rails. I was almost to the point of having pieces fab'ed at some shop then this helpful guy came through.

I'd have driven the several miles to the store to buy one but my wife bought it for me over the internet and it was delivered a few days before Xmas, '08 w/o the connecting plates. I dealt with them over the phone for literally months until the store employee helped me out in April or May, I forget. Alls well that ends well and I like the product. The price was on sale at $99.

I recall reading your comment about the missing parts... it would be pretty frustrating to have it and not being able to finish the assambly; agree with pushing the dolly with your foot, rather than pushing/ pulling the bike, particuarly if you add the plywood.

Interesting, what did it cost you?
I have purchased 3 of them and paid anywhere from $70 to $80. Harbor Freight is constantly having sales. Anyone who ever pays full freight at HF is crazy! Since I've "signed up" w/ HF I get 20% off coupons e-mailed me on almost a weekly basis. And, the 20% off can be combined w/ a sale price. If you google "Harbor Freight coupons" you will often find coupons which you can print and use. My only negative comments re: these dollies is that with heavy bikes it takes a fair amount of grunt to roll the casters and you need to have a good place to grip the bike to do so. I have a Honda Valkyrie and Yamaha Venture on 2 of mine (they barely squeeze on due to the wheel base). Also mine do tend to push away from me when I ride onto them so I usually put one end of a 4"x4" up against the end of the dolly an the other against then against a fixed object to hold it in place. I've seen dollies which may have easier rolling casters or better caster locks (or something) advertised for $300-$400. I'll put up with my little inconveniences for that price difference! Mike