Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khunajawdge

Toto El Mundo!
Reaction score
So, I had to do something today, which is going to change my approach to buying tires. I still need to adopt a design for a static balance system, so that's next! Here's what I did!

Opening the box.

DSCF3124.jpg

Here's what's in Box #1.

DSCF3125.jpg

Bolted the stand together.

DSCF3126.jpg

Here's where it's going to stand.

DSCF3127.jpg

"Hey 'Poco', get outa there?". Goddam horse doesn't "get it" that he's

been replaced by a 2 wheeler! He's a little long in the tooth these days anyhow.

DSCF3130.jpg

Drilling the ½" shields into 4" of concrete.

DSCF3131.jpg

OK, ready for bolt down.

DSCF3132.jpg

Here's what's in Box #2.

DSCF3133.jpg

Here's the whole enchilada!

DSCF3135.jpg

Wish they'd supplied me with a rim and tire, so I could try this sucker out!

Oh well, now I can bust those old truck tires off their rims that are

laying around by the creek. Think I'll hang the old truck rims around the place

strategically, so I can stow my garden hoses on them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, George! Do you really need something else to do in your spare time????
Uhh, Not really!

Hey, want a slightly used water heater? I can see that I've still got one inside the barn that needs to find a good home! It's a working 20 gallon/gas model. Come and get it! :rolleyes:

Uhm....nyaahhh! :no2:

I've spent the last 2 weekends doing "cleaning chores" around here. I started in the two back bedrooms (and closets) and have worked my way toward the garage. I need to finish the kitchen today. The work bench area in the garage will be done this week...I don't need (or want) to add to my joy! :blink:

Hey, maybe Carver can use one!?!?!? :yes:

Yeah! Hot water in the shop...hooked up to the bike wash-rack he wants to build...and its free. Go ahead, tell him I sent you! :lol:

George,

Kaitsdad uses a setup like this. It works great. When I saw him change a tire he used an additional tool called something like a "mojo lever" made for manual tire changing. He could not recommend it more and it looked like it worked well. You may want to consider one.

George,
Kaitsdad uses a setup like this. It works great. When I saw him change a tire he used an additional tool called something like a "mojo lever" made for manual tire changing. He could not recommend it more and it looked like it worked well. You may want to consider one.
Well, if there's a picture somewhere? I'll ADD a Mojo bar to the arsenal.

PS. I got this thing in partial preparation for the KLR in my future! :unsure:

That, plus to help the PAC Nor Wet guys that show up here every year like Danodemotoman from Pullman, Wash. and Idaho's own Bob Rainey. Those guys always spend 2 days staying at my place trying to get tires mounted at some local shop. Now they can do it all here, and they're gone in a day?

Whew :exclamation:

I have been using the HF set-up for a while now. It is NOT the Holy Grail, but it works. It can be a royal PITA to use, but still better than paying $$$ for someone else to do a shitty job, and much easier on the wallet than the more fancy tire changers like the No-Mar.

Here are some suggestions:

1) For the first couple times you use it, if at all possible, get somebody with some experience to help you. Their tips/tricks they know will be invaluable. I guarantee it.

2) Get at least 3 tire irons. I have two basic ones, and a fancy motion-pro curved one. That bar on the HF changer don't work worth beans. I use it for dismounting, but for mounting, I have to use, or finish with the tire irons 90% of the time.

3) Plasti-Dip the three grabbing parts of the tire changer, and the bar, to prevent slipping, scratching, and red paint transfer to the wheel, however.........

4) The HF bar sucks moist ass cheese IMHO. I ended up buying a NoMar bar that has nylon on both ends and works much better. (Still need those tire irons though)

5) Some devices (either home made, or bought (like NoMars)) to keep the tire bead in the valley of the rim will prove invaluable, especially if doing this by yourself. I can change a tire by myself, but it's always A LOT easier with an extra set of hands around. I only have one of the NoMar gadgets and two more would make things much easier.

6) I rarely use the upper right angle red piece. I just insert the rod down the center and lever the bar across it. Make things much more simple.

7) Like TWN with his gerbils, copious amounts of lubricant is critical!!!! RuGlyde came highly recommended from the experts on this forum and has served me well.

I am not going to pull punches. Using the tire changer is a PITA. But I still prefer it over the alternatives - either paying somebody else to do it and screw it up, or paying $$$ for a higher quality changer like that bastard Smitty.

Advantages:

1) Getting it done right.

2) Being able to properly clean the wheel/bead.

3) Being able to determine the wheel (only) balance.

4) Being able to properly balance the wheel. I highly recommend the Marc Parnes Balancer. It is extremely accurate and I will put it's balance up against an automatic machine's any day of the week.

5) Doing the job on your schedule, and not somebody else's.

6) Satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I have changed approximately 30 tires or so now and have gotten decent at it - though nowhere near as proficient as Smitty with his NoMar. My guess is the first few times you use it will be pretty frustrating, but hang it there, the more you use it, the better you will get at it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Just putting together the same set up as well. Everything else has arrived but the HF boxes.

Link to the Mojo Lever and other goodies.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
George,
+1 for the mojo lever. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Latest posts