Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional use doesn't excuse buying junk. While it might be fine, I kinda doubt it. On some things one just shouldn't skimp, and an inaccurate torque wrench is just another breaker bar. I didn't pay a whole lot for my Craftsman inch pounder ($50-$60), and it is one that I can trust.

The Harbor Freight torque wrench might not be so bad because it could also double as a pry bar if you're a little creative.

I agree with Craig in Denver. Save your money and put it toward a quality torque wrench, or any tool for that matter. I also did not pay a lot for my Craftsman wrench, and I know I can return it for a full exchange if there is ever something wrong with it.

A torque wrench is a precision tool and should be treated as such. It shouldn't be dropped, slammed around on the garage floor or in the tool box. Clean it after every use (like all tools) and it will serve you well for the rest of your life.

It may sound a bit anal, but I have several thousand dollars invested in tools, compressor/air tools, and motorcycle specific tools (carb sync, etc.) and I want them to last. Besides, we all know the old saying "the right tool for the right job". Well, that includes the quality of the tool.

If you want an inexpensive (not cheap) torque wrench, then look for a beam type wrench that is calibrated in in/lb. The one you're looking at is the type that must be calibrated to "click" at the correct torque, and cheap "clicker type" (sorry - not the techy term) wrenches are a waste of money.

I have two beam-type Craftsman wrenches.

0 - 75 lb. ft.

0 - 150 lb. ft.

They are good, simple wrenches. They are not as easy to use as clicker wrenches. But they seem to be fairly accurate and repeatable. They are more than adequate for tinkering on a motorcycle.

I don't believe Craftsman offers a beam-type wrench in the lower torque ratings such as 0 - 15 or 0 - 20 lb. ft. or their lb. in. equivalents.

I was in a Harbor Freight retail outlet near Columbus, Ohio last year and handled their cheapo torque wrenches. They do not look like they would be very accurate and you would probably be better off with no torque wrench and using your wrist to judge tightness rather than trusting your machine to one of these.

I use a beam type torque wrench that I got from Sears many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
HF does offer a good deal on Fiamm horns. This horn is rated 130 dB @ 4 inches distance.

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=44760

These are not quite as loud as the Magnum Blasters but they're very good horns at a very attractive price. Clearly an upgrade for the OEM FJR horns. HF has both the 405 (low) & 485 (high) Hz models.

Fiamm offers an industrial grade disc horn (Model HK-9) similar to those on the FJR. But they are considerably louder -- 114 dB @ 1 meter. The horn manufacturers play games with the loudness ratings. The loudness of replacement horns for automotive use are measured at a distance of 4 inches from the horn. For industrial use the measurement is made at 1 meter. An apples and oranges comparison.

I've got HF torque wrenches in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". I've had no problems with them. I cannot say that I've done any experiemnting do validate their accuracy. But, they have worked well for me. And, I probably got all 3 for less than a single Craftsman.

I run many of the HF tools in my shop (home hobby shop). I don;t wrench for a living. But, I'm out there almost every week. I've had good luck with them. For my frequently used sockets, ratchets and wrenches I've got Craftsman. But, for specialty tools, I don't hesitate to go to HF.

The guys are so right on about not getting a "pry bar/breaker bar/torque" wrench. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imgination but one night some friends were over and one needed a torque wrench. I pulled out my sears ( i think it was 100.00 bucks) and I was the talk of the night for having the "dependable" tool and not one from HF! I too put on the magnum blasters and I used them the other day on a blue haired killer and brought them back to life!!!! I love them!