Hard Drive Camcorder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbob

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a camcorder so I can take some videos out on the twisties. These new hard drive camcorders like the Sony DCR-SR100 look promising but I question whether they would work well under bumpy road conditions. Anyone tried one of these out on the road?

Since people have had problems using hard drive GPS units on a bike, I would expect the same to be true for a recorder. A hard drive just won't hold up when mounted to a bike.

I think TWN tried one of those HD based Cameras and decided (in short order) that it wouldn't work aboard the FJR. (Slap me if I'm wrong) :)

I have a JVC HD Digital and it will NOT work mounted to your normal RAM mount system. It might work if strapped to the top of a tank bag, but the 3 diffrent times I tried to record vidieo using a handlebar mount the camera "crashed" and all the data was lost as I had to reboot it.

Now mine has the option to record onto a SD card, but I have not tried that. I would stay away from HD cameras if you want to use them on a bike...

KM

I think TWN tried one of those HD based Cameras and decided (in short order) that it wouldn't work aboard the FJR. (Slap me if I'm wrong) :)

Keey-recta-mundo, Gunny (though I'd still like to slap you!). The hard drive cams hate the high frequency vibes. I had one that you could bang on and it would still keep recording, but as soon as I started riding it would lock-up or shut down.

Best stick with the tape based jobbies.

Any type of a device that has a spinning heads like a hard drive wont work. You need to get something that has a , what they are called?, solid state memory. Like a memory sticks with out a moving parts. and then you are in business. Friend of mine uses his digital camera and has great movies to share.

Any type of a device that has a spinning heads like a hard drive wont work. You need to get something that has a , what they are called?, solid state memory. Like a memory sticks with out a moving parts. and then you are in business. Friend of mine uses his digital camera and has great movies to share.
Nope. Beg to differ. Both me and JDogsocal run tape based vid cams. Check out some of our handywork over in 'Images'. ;)

Keey-recta-mundo, Gunny (though I'd still like to slap you!). The hard drive cams hate the high frequency vibes. I had one that you could bang on and it would still keep recording, but as soon as I started riding it would lock-up or shut down.

Best stick with the tape based jobbies.
Thanks TWN...so what type would you recommend?

Nope. Beg to differ. Both me and JDogsocal run tape based vid cams. Check out some of our handywork over in 'Images'. ;)
@TWN:

Why do the solid state memory recorders not work? Do you know why or was your answer based on your personal anecdotal evidence? I understand your answer definitely points toward tapes, however cougar's response indicates that some peeps-is that a werd?- have success on the digital camera also.

Love your films BTW...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cougar was saying that any cam with spinning heads won't work (I think). That's not quite true. Hard disc spinners don't for sure - the hi freq. vibes are bad juju for some reason - but tape based spinners do (there's a spinning head that records/plays on to/from the tape). He is correct in stating that the memory card or stick types work, but as yet, they can't store the same amount of 'footage' as the tapes do. Well, last time I checked, anyway. The storage seems to double every 3 months, so I could be outta date here.

I've used all three and owned a hard disc and my current Canon Elura 80 which has tape and card capability. Tape, IMO is the way to go for MC vids.

Cougar was saying that any cam with spinning heads won't work (I think). That's not quite true. Hard disc spinners don't for sure - the hi freq. vibes are bad juju for some reason - but tape based spinners do (there's a spinning head that records/plays on to/from the tape). He is correct in stating that the memory card or stick types work, but as yet, they can't store the same amount of 'footage' as the tapes do. Well, last time I checked, anyway. The storage seems to double every 3 months, so I could be outta date here.
I've used all three and owned a hard disc and my current Canon Elura 80 which has tape and card capability. Tape, IMO is the way to go for MC vids.
Thanks TWN. I'm checking out what Canon has to offer. I really like the videos that you and jdog are doing. I will definitely get a bullet cam ... that video you made on 36 with the bullet on your slider is awesome!

Thanks TWN. I'm checking out what Canon has to offer. I really like the videos that you and jdog are doing. I will definitely get a bullet cam ... that video you made on 36 with the bullet on your slider is awesome!
Definitely figure in a bullet cam. I rotate mine around the bike and even have a mini tripod for off bike filming. JDog also runs a Canon, but he has 4!!! bullet cams on his controlled by a C.U.N.T. box he made and has wired the whole shebang into his 12v bike power.

Thanks for the comment on the 36 vid. If you ever make it to NorCal, this is a must ride. The vid does not even come close to the real deal. Friggin' awesome.

Not sure how picky you want to be about picture quality -- but this bullet cam from Oregon Scientific was mentioned a while back:

clicky

Pro: 70 bucks for the camera, 70 for a 2 GB memory card, all-solid state, no-wires.

Con: reported picture quality is what you'd expect at the price & only 15 fps

some sample videos here:

clicky-clicky

regards,

D.