Hard or Soft option?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randayn

Reaction score
I have an 06 with new M p3 tires installed. I am 5'10" 165# solo rider. The suspension is adjusted to standard specs. per. owners manual. The rear seems fine. The front end is harsh or "bumpy". Just does not seem right. Please, is it better to go for a firm setting or a softer setting on the front end? Objective is a balanced ride, "smooth". This is the only niggle on an otherwise near great ride. What works for you? Thank you.

I find a patch of road that is bumpy and ride up and down it while changing the fork compression setting up or down 2 clicks. Then ask yourself, better/worse, and do it again. I look for the stiffest setting I can get without loosening my fillings or causing chatter, but I like a sportbike type feel.

I weigh 180 lbs and am 6' tall, and I set mine at 8/8, added 15cc of additional fork fluid (keeps front end from diving) and leave the rear on hard. It works for me and I have increased my twisty riding speed almost to my previous sportbike level. Almost, but not quite!

Before you spend too much time 'playing' with the hydraulic settings (compression & rebound) you should make sure that your spring pre-load is set up correctly for your riding weight. There are lots of guides out there, this is the one I use. have fun :rolleyes:

Don

Damn.. Double posted.

Who'd have thought just one bloody mary would have me drunk already :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
No females reading this?
Just you.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Don't get him mad, HRZ.
biggrin.gif

BarryPinkcopy-1.jpg

I have an 06 with new M p3 tires installed. I am 5'10" 165# solo rider. The suspension is adjusted to standard specs. per. owners manual. The rear seems fine. The front end is harsh or "bumpy". Just does not seem right. Please, is it better to go for a firm setting or a softer setting on the front end? Objective is a balanced ride, "smooth". This is the only niggle on an otherwise near great ride. What works for you? Thank you.

When you post a question like this you need to give more information since you are asking questions about a 5 year old bike. How many miles are on the bike, does it have the OEM fork springs or aftermarket springs (if aftermarket what is the weight of those springs), has the fork oil been changed and if so, what fork oil was used and how many miles are on that oil? Have you the measured the sag and/or done any tests to rule out bottoming?

When you post a question like this you need to give more information since you are asking questions about a 5 year old bike. How many miles are on the bike, does it have the OEM fork springs or aftermarket springs (if aftermarket what is the weight of those springs), has the fork oil been changed and if so, what fork oil was used and how many miles are on that oil? Have you the measured the sag and/or done any tests to rule out bottoming?
Why do you have to ruin things with a serious helpful answer? I swear...

How many miles and what's the maintenance record on the front forks?

Might be time for a fork oil change, it makes a huge difference in ride quality.