HARD System: anyone use it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thought about it, but I have heard rumors that it interferes with GPS receivers!! I would like to know also.

I use the Hard system My experience has been good. I have not had any problems at all. You just have to stock up on those Batteries.

I have never tried one myself, but someone I know with a lot of riding experience has. 2 things about this design make it somewhat flawed for long term use, based on feedback.

1) The batteries, and if they die while on the road, well you know what the end result of this will be. Battery operated accessories on a motorcycle are a big distraction, hard wired is the only way to go for everything electronic.

2) riding into bright sunlight, dramatically reduces the performance of the LED visual alert and could potentially prevent you from knowing that your favorite police cruiser is waiting up ahead. IMO visual alerts are just another unwanted distraction while being out on the road. Priority should be the road ahead, above and beyond anything else.

Alternative solution: There is absolutely no substitute to actually hearing the RD alert inside the helmet directly in your ear. Put your money into a good com system like the Autocom, you will be much happier in the long run. This direction will also give you expandability for anything else you may want to hook up.

I've been using the HARD since last summer. It works very well. I've not had any GPS problems.

Another concern I've heard is the possibility of the unit negatively influencing your head in case of a helmet impacting the ground. Not sure about the physical size of what's in the helmet, so I can't accurately evaluate this info. Just passing it along, maybe somebody else (Rocket) can provide some light?

Another concern I've heard is the possibility of the unit negatively influencing your head in case of a helmet impacting the ground. Not sure about the physical size of what's in the helmet, so I can't accurately evaluate this info. Just passing it along, maybe somebody else (Rocket) can provide some light?
I have mine mounted on the outside of helmet with just the wire with the LED on the inside of helmet so no problem . I have seen someone who mounted the unit inside the helmet but as Toe pointed out that would not be good in a getoff.

The battery life seems to typicaly be about a week of riding as long as you remember to turn it off when not riding. Leave it on and get about a day and a half.

Last edited by a moderator:
The receiver unit fits under the padding in the back of my Scorpion 700, and the LED wand goes under the padding as well and comes out to the corner of my right eye. The boom for the wand is relatively small. Not as small as the Autocom stuff I have on the other side, but I don't feel it under the padding.

I have the receiver at the very bottom back of my helmet. I can reach back and turn it on and off. Where it sits is below the occipital area. It's sort of a nook in the back, and I barely feel it. If the receiver is out of place, I can REALLY feel it. My mellon is pretty large and fills the helmet. Your head shape and ability to get the receiver in your helmet comforatbly might vary. I think if it's comfortable, it's safe. If you feel the receiver protruding in any fashion, yes, there's a good chance it could impale you. But it's small, perhaps half the size of a zippo lighter? For the most part I don't even know it's there. Until it lights off.

BTW, I don't have it fastened in any way, it just stays there. Mostly held in place by the helmet padding. Same with my Autocom internals. And the bottom edge of the little hard plastic square box where the battery goes (receiver) sits at the bottom edge of my helmet. It can slip in and out easily until my mellon fills the bucket. Then the receiver has never slipped out (like on a LD run). YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a HARD for about two + years. They absolutely interfere with GPS units when the HARD transmitter is near the GPS antenna. In the two bikes I used it on I mounted the HARD transmitter under the seat and to the rear of the bike. When the HARD transmitter is near the GPS the number of satellites seen by the GPS unit is reduced to almost zero depending on how close the two units are together. I really like it in operation and it was worth the mods I did to make it work. I mount my receiver on the outside of the helmet.

Alternative solution: There is absolutely no substitute to actually hearing the RD alert inside the helmet directly in your ear. Put your money into a good com system like the Autocom, you will be much happier in the long run. This direction will also give you expandability for anything else you may want to hook up.
+1

I have an 8500 ran through an Autocom Pro M1. No problems. This might be a better system. No batteries.