Hard to decide: FJR vs BMW K1200GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quint, I considered both bikes as well. The GT is an awesome bike, no doubt about it. However, being the numbers guy that I am, the GT didn't make sense from a $ perspective. Everything that was important to me (reliability, power, comfort, style, handling, aftermarket parts, etc.), I was able to get on the FJR (and for much less $ than the BMW). I don't think either bike would be a bad decision from a technical perspective, but I coudn't justify the price difference personally.

I just got rid of my 2nd GL1800 and VFR for a '07 FJR. I test rode a 1200RT before I did just to be sure...BORING APPLIANCE it may be fine if you want a Goldwing Light but its no FJR. I know you mention the GT and I'm sure its got some balls but its also got that ridiculous price tag that in itself is the deal breaker not to mention that the FJR just plain looks better than the GT. No standard cruise on the FJR? big deal I'm adding a throttlemeister, its a bike afterall not a Goldwing (I did like the cruise on the wing). I also realllllllllllly liked my VFR, had the Honda factory bags and contemplated keeping it (my favorite bike ever) but your right its on the sporty side and though I ride alone 499 rides out of 500 I ride the VFR toooooo fast. Keep in mind my '07 FJR is not even here but when it does I know there will be one or two things that are less than perfect about it (there is on everybike) but I know it will because I'm picky and that I can just get some aftermarket add on if it really bugs me but I also know that I'm getting the best looking and best all around sporttourer out there and the heat/valve thing is fixed to boot. If it were any other bike I would have made sure to ride one first but I know I'm going to love it having owned 2 goldwings, VFR, CBR600, ST1300, both Vstroms and ridden just about everything else including a '06 ZX14 over 100 miles in the north GA mtns (I reallllllllly want a ZX14 but don't think its the key to longevity).

Anyway I'm sure the beemer is a fine overpriced machine and maybe its rear drive won't fail but I sure wouldn't buy one of those boring boxer appliances.

Oh yeah, I got my '07 FJR thanks to the folks here at D&H cycles in Cullman, AL for $11,700.

Steve

I see myself owning both the BMW and the FJR over the next 12 months or so because they are both very different. I was close to buying the 1200GT first and decided to do the FJR first at the last min when I saw how cheap they were going out the door. I also think the BMW is a better bike all around but you can't beat the Yamaha value.

From the description of what you are looking for in a bike, I'd say you described the Honda Goldwing!
+1 - Airborne, I think you really hit it absolutely dead center. There comes a point where there is so little sport in the Sport Tourer that it becomes a Tourer (and it also goes for the sport side of the equation). Everyone has their reason for riding and thats why there are so many bikes out there. How in THE HELL does anyone actually believe that they are going to get a useful answer over the internet? That's like asking Helen Keller to be your interior decorator. Go for a ride on each of them. Buy the one you like, or buy a Suzuki Savage and add what you need to go riding the way you want.

I rode my FJR for a full year before I even considered any modifications. Only when I was completely convinced an existing condition was less than satisfactory and that an improvement could be made did I begin searching for replacements.

The FJR as delivered was as close to perfect as any motorcycle I've owned including Goldwings.

I'm continually amazed by people who presume the FJR needs "improvement" before they even take delivery or feel they've fully assessed the bike's abilities on the ride home from picking it up at the dealer.

I've had bikes that couldn't make it out of town before I started squirming and others that were equally uncomfortable after 500 miles. Trying to turn an FJR into a Goldwing at best will have diminishing returns and at worst be an exercise in futility.

If that list is required at a minimum, I suggest skipping the FJR, cut to the chase, and get a Goldwing.

Its a no brainer between these 2 bikes. There just too closely matched. If one was significantly better than the other, we could have a conversation. But thats not the case. There may be a few catagories that the BMW does slightly better in than the FJR, but not many. Certainly not enough to hurtle the Beemers price point and dealer network issues. Those issues are your showstoppers and should make this decision easy. Performance is "over the top" on both these bikes. I find the styling of the FJR to be much better than the BMW.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up not buying a bimmer because of the dollar vs value part of the equation. I couldn't care less about having a bimmer so I can say I have a bimmer, got out of that mindset many many years ago. I've enjoyed farkleing my FJR, makes me happier with it. Now come to find out the BMW dealer network has really atrophied from what it once was.

If you're gonna tour, be advised there is one (1) BMW dealer in these states: Alabama, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah & Vermont.

Owning a K1200LT and really thinking about staying with the BMW mfg., I too was looking for a smaller bike to run the twisties around the mountains here in the Knoxville, Alcoa area.

Looked at and rode the K1200GT. It is a fine bike.

Looked for a ST1300 to try out but they just are not in this area, dealer here on Alcoa Hwy. told me that they just don"t stock them, I guess it like they can not sell them. Went to the Honda dealer on 66 off of I 40 going in to Pigeon forge. Sales person there told me to go with the FJR.

I went and trid out the FJR. Seemed to me that it had a lot more low end tork than the gt.

I did purchase the 07 FJR over the GT. I do like everything about the bike except, and I did notice it all before the purchase, Controls on the handel bars look like they came from this mfg, and then we will get this other piece form this other mfg. Fit and finish on the controls on the handle bars is a piece of crap. Controls on the GT look, feel, and work fantastic. FJR really needs to look into this area.

Also the Brakes on any BMW product is going to be outstanding. Even on that big fat K1200LT the brakes feel like and will stop you on a dime. It takes a lot longer on the FJR, don't know whats going on there with the Yamaha mfg.

That's it in a nut shell for me.

But I do love my 07 FJR.

My husband has the GT & I have the FJR. I fit better on the FJR - that was the deciding factor. Both bikes handle about the same - the braking is different - I think the BMW is a little (just a very little) better in the braking. Also the fit & finish is better on the BMW. But like I said - the FJR is a better fit for me.

Love the bike - over 3,000 miles in less then 3 months.

Diane

2006 1300A

Hey guys, please help out, and although this may seem unreasonable on an FJR owners board, try to maintain an even perspective!!
I am looking to replace my HD Ultra Classic after I rear-ended a pick-up. No ABS and wooden brakes were partly to blame (as was me). I have decided that I want the power of a four cylinder, the comfort of a touring mount, and the safety of a modernly engineered bike. Just by way of background, the bikes I have owned in the pst five years include an FZ1, R1200RT, HD Road King, and of ocurse, the Ultra.

I looked at VFRs, Sprint STs, Guzzis, ZX-14s, etc, but decided these put too much emphasis on sport with dodgy ergos and too many comromises for the pillion passenger. I also looked at the ST1300, but decided against this due to the heat problems (it gets warm here in Las Vegas!).

No doubt some of you have westled with these choices also, so I would be very interested to hear your views.

The problems that I see with the BMW are price, useless seat (requiring $900 to replace), crappy windshield, and expensive accessories. By the time I'm done with the mods I would need, I would to need spend $25K OTD. That's a lot!

The absolute essentials I need are ABS brakes (easy with the FJR), top box (again, a standard FJR accessory), cruise control (down to the Audiovox or MC Cruise), handlebar risers (Heli?), lowered footpegs (rider & passenger), replacement seat (stock seats are generally uncomfortable for me after a couple of hundred miles), and possibly some different grips to help with the vibes & tingles. I would also consider an EFI re-map to smooth out the fueling. I guess all up with the FJR, I'd be looking at around $17 - 18K, which is a real saving over the Beemer.

I must admit that I am none too excited about having the cruise as a bolt on after-thought, although the MC unit looks less conspicuous than the Audivox unit.

Any and all comments are welcomed!! :blink:
I went through the same dilema and chose the FJR. No looking back, I love it. If you get one I bought the peg lowering kit for the rider and passenger. I've decided to stick with stock. I put the rider kit on and the passenger is still in the shipping box, unopened. Would let it go for half of what I paid. If you're interested let me know.

Decisions, decisions! Did you post a similar question on a BWM forum too?

My husband was looking for all the things you mentioned, on his new bike plus a hefty handful of throttle. While he loved the FJR, it's against personal policy to have two similar bikes in the same garage. He opted for the K1200S. Performance specs on that are just slightly above the FJR but of course price was significantly higher. He is 6' tall, average build and rides the bike as stock.

He said that the FJR is a more comfortable riding position, especially for a guy with rebuilt elbows, but his love the the Beemer over rules that. Braking is better on the 07 ABS/linked bike than on my olde-worlde 03 FJR.

I think the FJR is the better bike for the money, but of course I'm very biased. For $500 or so, I put a Bill Mayer seat on. Risers were needed because I'm not very tall. The bike has been lowered 3/4" and an electrical outlet added. Other than that, my 03 is stock and I love it.

Jill

I went with the 06 FJR because I currently own a 04 BMW.

The problem I have with BMWs are the quality of the material they use.

I had a long conversation with the BMW parts manager. This guy is good and doesn't push BMW crap on anyone.

He told me that Autozone radiator hoses will work better for intake air tubes. He showed me that this is the type of crap BMW is selling for $16, something you can make in the garage.

BMW is still using old rubber compounds that rots after a short time.

Also he warned me about the new rear ends like others had mentioned, 4 2006s, had replacements in just the last year. He has never seen that in the previous BMWs, in a small shop like this.

He is not too impressed with the current line of bikes that BMW is pushing.

He also isn't happy that BMW doesn't always follow the warranty, and seems to selectively screw over owners.

I am keeping the BMW though, because

1. It is slow and lumbering, this will help from getting tickets.

2. I am going to swap the tranny with a different BMW tranny, to see if I could get this tank to 65 mpg.

When I go into the garage to select a bike to ride, it is almost always the FJR.

I ride the Beemer only enough to keep the battery charged.

My $.02

If you were considering the K12S, there'd be reason to noodle the issue. But the K12GT? Nope, in that case the FRJ is the hands down.... winner unless your are sufficiently wealthy to desire sending an extra $5k to BMW just to keep them in business.... or you'd like to commend them for the balz to produce the Hossack front end. I personally like the Hossack far more than reviewers seem to.

I'm always a little surprised when someone who hasn't ridden one mile on a bike declares that they're going to have to spend $4K on accessories like seats, windshields, footpegs, grips, etc. to make it acceptable. These are all things that you'll never find out if you need to replace by reading the internet. Instead, you've got to put in some 500-miles days and see how it all works for you.
I'd recommend you get the FJR and leave all the extra money in the bank earning interest. Unless you really want the BMW, it is hard to justify the extra money. Ride it for awhile and then one by one, fix the things that need fixing, asking for advice as you go. It may be a lot of things, it may be nothing.

This is one of my huge pet peeves - way too much internet riding rather than real riding.

- Mark
Sorry that you're peeved, but I have ridden BOTH bikes. And before anyone accuses me of doing more internet riding than real riding, in January this year, I rode 1,500 miles from Colorado to New Mexico to Aizona to Nevada, most of it in sub-freezing temperatures and snow. What's more, I didn't see ANY other bikes. Not one - certainly no FJRs.

In terms of not knowing whether I need these accessories, please give me a little credit. I have a neck injury from 20 years ago, and I "know" that I need handlebar risers. I'm not really certain whether I would need to replace an FJR seat, but I know damn well that I do on the GT. The RT seat was enough of a torture rack and the GT seat is worse.

I respect your opinion, but before you start talking about "huge pet peeves", make sure you know the facts first! But I guess some people just can't help themselves...

I'm always a little surprised when someone who hasn't ridden one mile on a bike declares that they're going to have to spend $4K on accessories like seats, windshields, footpegs, grips, etc. to make it acceptable. These are all things that you'll never find out if you need to replace by reading the internet. Instead, you've got to put in some 500-miles days and see how it all works for you.
I'd recommend you get the FJR and leave all the extra money in the bank earning interest. Unless you really want the BMW, it is hard to justify the extra money. Ride it for awhile and then one by one, fix the things that need fixing, asking for advice as you go. It may be a lot of things, it may be nothing.

This is one of my huge pet peeves - way too much internet riding rather than real riding.

- Mark

Well, then let's get away from Internet riding, and into real riding.

I own both a 2005 FJR (full disclosure - put up for sale today) and a 2006 BMW K1200GT. I have toured on both, putting 12,000 miles in under 6 weeks on the Bimmer last summer, touring across 23 states and two Canadian provinces; and 8000 miles in two summer tours over about 3.5 weeks on the FJR in the previous summer.

I feel that after owning, rather than test driving or reading about, both, I'm in a pretty good position to respond to the original question posed; at least with an opinion as to how I see it.

First, the Bimmer offers some advantages over the FJR. Even cooler than the 06 and 07, both of which I have ridden in summer. Cruise control factory installed versus aftermarket (YMMV), which performs flawlessly. This is a big deal to me. Slightly (IMHO) superior brakes. Suspension adjustment (9 settings) with the ability to change the 3 gross settings on the fly (a feature that those who have never had it indicate is unnecessary; much like many of those who shrug off a need for an electric windshield until they've owned one and are willing to admit it). BMW: Superior fit, equal finish. Bags that don't require a key to open. Superior lean angle, stock-to-stock. Both now have integrated (on my 2005, the control sits above the bars like an afterthought) heated grips, bmw offers factory installed multi-level control heated seats. Trip computer with more functions.

On the FJR side of the advantages tally book, you have the ability to add highway pegs (the bmw has no place to bolt these on), a metal tank for those who like magnetic tank bags/map holders. The stock seat on the FJR is so far superior to the BMW's its laughable (altho I still run a Sargeant seat on the FJR).

I've modified both with aftermarket shields, peg lowering kits, and risers, so for me the comfort level/position is equivalent, although for some reason the FJR feels slightly like a better 'fit' after 300-400 miles; but I couldn't tell you exactly why.

Now for the hard part; the price and maintenance cost difference - i.e. the elusive 'value for the buck' calculation.

My honest assessment after having ridden and owned both is as follows. The BMW K1200GT is a superior bike to the FJR. This would be my opinion even compared to the 07 FJR, which is a huge advance over the 05 in heat (I did the Cromeit heat fix which solved the bulk of the problem), but which seemed to me (IMHO) to drive/ride very similarly to my 05 in all other aspects. BUT, does the degree in difference in superiority justify the difference in price - I personally don't think so. If you have to justify the additional amount of price and ongoing cost with the difference in the bikes, you can't. The FJR is the clear choice. BUT, IF the price and maintenance cost is of literally no consequence, and all you want is the best sport tourer available, than the GT is a better pick than the FJR (which constitute #1 and #2 in the list of good choices).

Everything here is my opinion only, but is at least based on weeks in both saddles.
Thanks TTP!

That's exactly the type of impartial information I was searching for. In someone else's thread, they pondered "how the hell could someone expect to get a reasonable answer over the internet?"

Well, you just proved that you can. By far the majority of feedback here has been helpful and positive, and just a couple of people who can't help but throw in some negative comments.

I'd like to thank EVERYone for taking the time and trouble to respond. It has been a useful and helpful exercise for me.

Cheers!

The BMW maintenance costs were enough to keep me out of the German market - let alone the cost of the motorcycle!

One other point - The BMW does have great ergonomics and are very reliable machines. More reliable than Japanese designs? - I ain't gonna touch that, but I would say no - there, I touched it.

I can tell you this - The BMW tourers DO NOT have the response that the FJR has - not even close...

Thanks TTP!
That's exactly the type of impartial information I was searching for. In someone else's thread, they pondered "how the hell could someone expect to get a reasonable answer over the internet?"

Well, you just proved that you can. By far the majority of feedback here has been helpful and positive, and just a couple of people who can't help but throw in some negative comments.

I'd like to thank EVERYone for taking the time and trouble to respond. It has been a useful and helpful exercise for me.

Cheers!
I'm glad you're happy and got your question answered. I guess perception is reality. Then again, just because the engine is running and the wheels are turning, it sure doesn't imply that you are "riding." The FJR was not designed as a Barcalounger on wheels, but that is pretty much what your specs describe. I can't take credit for the observation but your specs fit a Wing to a Tee. A good analogy would be posing the question to an Air Force pilot, "I want to fly the Atlantic in comfort, which should I buy, an F15 or Tomcat?"

I respect your opinion, but before you start talking about "huge pet peeves", make sure you know the facts first! But I guess some people just can't help themselves...
First, didn't mean to generalize you with others, but that's what it sounded like. I'll stand on my opinion that too many people make modifications to their bikes without first evaluating whether the modifications are necessary or make things better.

Second, lighten up.

- Mark