Hard-wired Garage Door Opener

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroen_decker

Reaction score
I wanted to share a potential solution for those of you interested in hard-wiring your garage door opener into the bike. I used push button momentary switch purchased from radio shack, an old mobile phone car charger that converts 12V to 5V and a Chamberlain 3V garage door opener. Here is what I did:

• Installed the switch in the left control on the handlebar (positioned on the top back side as there is room inside for the switch)
  • Run the switch wire through the black plastic sleeve under the tank to the seat area
  • Spliced into the electrical and soldered the car charger to the plus and ground
  • Removed the opener switch and soldered in the new switch
  • Removed the battery from the remote and soldered in the plus and ground from the car charger

I was concerned about the 5V going into the remote that was powered by a 3V battery however so far there has been no issue.
IMAG0141.jpg
IMAG0142.jpg

I did almost the same thing except I didn't wire in the charger only the momentary button. I figured that was too much trouble when those batteries last so long and they are so cheap and easy to change. I've had mine on my bike for about 2 years now and the battery is still going strong.

That's got to be one hell of a long wire if it's really "hardwired".

Maybe you meant hardwired to the bike battery. I didn't read the whole thing.

I have a short attention span and tend to

Easier (IMO) optional way to do it is to get one of those small universal keyfobs from Walmart. Program it to your garage door, and then bust it apart and wire the switch to where the keyfob press is.

Leave battery as is, and connect two wires to switch and where the button presses and contacts completing the circuit for the door opener.

Plus side to this is it's cheap (20 dollar keyfob and 10 dollar switch from a marine store to make sure it's waterproof), and you can make the wires whatever length you want, and just ductape it, velcro it, secure it however you want, WHEREVER you want. No need to find a route to the bike's battery. Easy to install, easy to remove.

Alexi

All my cars have built in door openers, and I'm lazy.. I just keep the door opener in my tank bag. I don't even have to open the bag to push the button
tongue.gif