Hard wireing Garmin 2730 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadstar

Reaction score
OK any of you electricle guru`s , i found this https://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-G10495-2/Garmin-Power-Audio-Hardwire-Cable-for-2610-2620-2720-2820 to hook up my 2730 GPS And it looks like it has plugs to hook up to a headset or something simular. would something like this hook up to like a starcom 1 ??? it`s a terrible pic & you would think there would be a better discription of what it hook up too. Or is there another (better) setup to hard wire my Garmin 2730 (right now i`m using the car speaker plug)

OK any of you electricle guru`s , i found this https://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-G10495-2/Garmin-Power-Audio-Hardwire-Cable-for-2610-2620-2720-2820 to hook up my 2730 GPS And it looks like it has plugs to hook up to a headset or something simular. would something like this hook up to like a starcom 1 ??? it`s a terrible pic & you would think there would be a better discription of what it hook up too. Or is there another (better) setup to hard wire my Garmin 2730 (right now i`m using the car speaker plug)
The cable you show is both the power hookup and the plug for what ever you want to send the sound to. You just have to purchase or build a connector cable. I believe the plug is mono.

It's a female 2.5mm headphone jack coming from the GPS. You can adapter it 2.5mm (male to male), or any other size you might need, and it is mono.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the power hookup, it's just a red positive and black ground lead set, easy peasy. If you've already got a fuse box or switched power terminal, put the red wire there. If not, tape the blue wire at the running lights. Ground the black wire. The kit has an inline fuse.

So I have often wondered why the diference between the Auto set-up that has the speaker built in and the M/C set up that you need that little plug.

If one could figure out wire's ran the speakers from the auto set up you could just run those to your Star-Com unit and have one less hook up. ?????????????? Any one went that direction?

" If one could figure out wire's ran the speakers from the auto set up you could just run those to your Star-Com unit and have one less hook up. ?????????????? Any one went that direction?"

Great question !!

Thanks for the answers sofar :)

So I have often wondered why the diference between the Auto set-up that has the speaker built in and the M/C set up that you need that little plug.

If one could figure out wire's ran the speakers from the auto set up you could just run those to your Star-Com unit and have one less hook up. ?????????????? Any one went that direction?
I'm not sure how you'd have one less hookup . . . . You feed the car set's signal to your Starcom or you feed the bike kit's signal to your Startcom. You need to kludge the speaker set to get sound out, and the bike kit is just a single simple connection.

It's different because most motorcyclists want to feed it into their audio or radio system. A speaker like the car set has wold be inaudible on the bike. Keep in mind, too, that the car set would include some kind of amplifier to drive the speaker, and you wouldn't want to feed an amplified signal into your comm gear!

Having the bike kit with just power leads and an audio jack is exactly what 80% of riders want. The rest want BlueTooth out, which the 2730 doesn't have.

I know i`m asking too much , but is there a something comm (auto or star) that i can hard wire my 2730 - i pod nano & still be able to blue tooth my Droid 2 phone too & of course my head set will have a wire too the helmet . Or am i asking too much from one unit.

It's a female 2.5mm headphone jack coming from the GPS. You can adapter it 2.5mm (male to male), or any other size you might need, and it is mono.
I'm pretty sure it's a 3.5mm female. I thought it was stereo, but cannot prove it. I know I hear different channels when I play mp3's (Jimi Hendrix Little Wing). It that a function of the autocom?

Forget the 2.5mm mono audio plug on the wire harness. There is a 3.5 stereo audio jack on the side of your 2730. You can run from there to your auto com or star com.

That mono plug is for older units that don't have stereo. You could still use it but you would not have stereo.

You can buy Star com or Auto com cables that will go 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm and are made just for that. Or you can buy a 2.5 mono to 3.5 mm stereo adapter at radio shack and then use the 3.5 to 3.5 cable

Good catch, Bluestreek. I wasn't thinking of the music player's plug, I was thinking only of the adapter kit's audio, for GPS Jill's instructions.

Now: Does GPS Jill speak through the other plug, or are you in an either/or situation with directions vs. music? (I have a 2720, not 2730, so no music player.)

Boy are you lucky getting Jill , i get Carlos & he always wants to go & cop some weed & grab a bait car. :huh:

OK, so his situation is, he needs power to the 2730, but doesn't need the 2.5mm audio jack hanging from it. It's slowly becoming clearer. . . . .

I say, use the kit and tuck the cable away, or just cut it off.

I'm pretty sure it's a 3.5mm female. I thought it was stereo, but cannot prove it. I know I hear different channels when I play mp3's (Jimi Hendrix Little Wing). It that a function of the autocom?
It's listed in the link as 2.5mm mono.

I know i`m asking too much , but is there a something comm (auto or star) that i can hard wire my 2730 - i pod nano & still be able to blue tooth my Droid 2 phone too & of course my head set will have a wire too the helmet . Or am i asking too much from one unit.
The Starcom1 Advance will do what you want. It has a stereo audio input, an Aux audio input (mono) and a phone input. You'd be best to hook your music source to stereo (duh!) the GPS to the aux input and they sell a Blue Tooth module that hooks up to the phone input and can be paired to your phone. If you later decide to use the 2730 as a music source (XM or MP3) just move the audio output from that to the stereo input of the starcom.

OK, so his situation is, he needs power to the 2730, but doesn't need the 2.5mm audio jack hanging from it. It's slowly becoming clearer. . . . .

I say, use the kit and tuck the cable away, or just cut it off.
This is exactly what I did. I've cut the audio cable off and hooked up a BMW style plug for power to plug into a fairing mounted socket. I've only recently considered music-on-the-go, thanks Bluestreek for the tip about the 3.5 plug. I'll look for it tonight

An item of possible interest for those not wanting to be wired directly to the bike.The 2730 manual states it has FM transmission capability. Matching the 2730 FM freq. out to a pocket carried fm receiver tuned to an unused channel should free you up from the bike tether.

I recently picked up a used 2730 from the barter section here but haven't had a chance to try that feature out yet. It does seem to be an option to get mp3 and GPS messages semi-wirelessly. A neat feature I didn't know it had when I popped for it.

More of a soft wire than a hard wire option so perhaps slightly off topic.