Has anyone installed OEM heated grips on an '06 1300A?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintjoh

Reaction score
Even though the installation seems simple, I'm looking for some advice on installing a pair of Yamaha heated grips on my '06.

Thanks.

Quite a few of us have installed the OEM heated grips...Honda OEM :D Frankly the consensus on the Yamaha OEM grips was that the price was a complete rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few of us have installed the OEM heated grips...Honda OEM :D Frankly the consensus on the Yamaha OEM grips was that the price was a complete rip off.
I would agree that Yamaha's heated grips are very pricey ($415 US). Because of a problematic set of aftermarket grips, my dealer discounted the OEM grips nearly 40%. Yamaha sure goes overboard in this kit with replacing the throttle cable housing, etc., 14 parts total. So, the installation is pretty simple. Connect the blue plug and the white plug from the controller to the corresponding plugs on the bike. Connect the each grip's plug into the two corresponding plugs on the bike. NO HEAT at 40 MPH in 3rd for 7-8 minute ride home. I do have power in the grip's two plugs at idle. I also have power on both sides of the blue plug when the controller is plugged in (at idle). An ideas?

I would agree that Yamaha's heated grips are very pricey ($415 US). Because of a problematic set of aftermarket grips, my dealer discounted the OEM grips nearly 40%. Yamaha sure goes overboard in this kit with replacing the throttle cable housing, etc., 14 parts total. So, the installation is pretty simple. Connect the blue plug and the white plug from the controller to the corresponding plugs on the bike. Connect the each grip's plug into the two corresponding plugs on the bike. NO HEAT at 40 MPH in 3rd for 7-8 minute ride home. I do have power in the grip's two plugs at idle. I also have power on both sides of the blue plug when the controller is plugged in (at idle). An ideas?
The yamaha grip is speed sensitive supposedly. I'd say you may have to get used to it.

The yamaha grip is speed sensitive supposedly. I'd say you may have to get used to it.
The instructions that came with the kit state 50% power to the grips under 8 MPH. Unfortunately, plugging into Yamaha's system on the bike makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Is there anyone out there who made the mistake of buying Yamaha heated grips?

Is there anyone out there who made the mistake of buying Yamaha heated grips?
Uhmmmm....er.....One that we know of. :dribble:

Okay, I know you're not in a funny state of mind. I assume you've checked all the basics: connections, bends (for possible breakage), double checked that no wires are crossed or hooked up backwards, used a multi tester to make sure you have current throughout the grip system.

Have you hooked a tester and run bht bike on the centerstand so you can see if there is a voltage "spurt" once the speedo goes above 10 mph or so?

Is there anyone out there who made the mistake of buying Yamaha heated grips?
Uhmmmm....er.....One that we know of. :dribble:

Okay, I know you're not in a funny state of mind. I assume you've checked all the basics: connections, bends (for possible breakage), double checked that no wires are crossed or hooked up backwards, used a multi tester to make sure you have current throughout the grip system.

Have you hooked a tester and run bht bike on the centerstand so you can see if there is a voltage "spurt" once the speedo goes above 10 mph or so?
Thanks for the input. Basics were covered. I will check for a "spurt". Troubleshooting is a little difficult when you plug into the machine and not your own design.

Well, if there is supposed to be an increase in the heat, that would mean an increase in the voltage at a certain speed. Since the speedo is read through the transmission, you should be able to replicate road speed on the center stand.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Gen II FJR with Yamaha heated grips. What I say about the operation of the heat controller is common for almost all quality heat controllers.

Function:

Your heated grips will have switched ignition power going to the right grip, a series wire will snake over to the left grip which gets connected to the heat controller. Heat is regulated by the heat controller grounding the circuit. The heat controller gets its logic from the ECU on when and how much to heat the grips. The ECU knows vehicle speed and ambient air temperature so it knows how to command the heat controller for the various heat profiles.

The heat controller will ground the grip circuit using a pulse that varies in width to regulate power for less than 100% heat output. At 100% heat command the heat controller will have the circuit completely grounded, no pulsing. A multimeter will have a hard time measuring this pulse regardless if the meter is set to AC or DC.

Hardware:

Right grip should have the gray connector. The brown wire in this connector is switched ignition voltage to power the grips, the power comes from the Signaling System fuse. The brown/blue wire connects the right grip to the left grip, supplying power to the left grip.

Left grip should have a black connector. The brown/blue wire is already described as bringing switched ignition voltage to the left grip. The red/black wire goes to the heat controller. When the heat controller grounds the R/B wire current will flow, heating the grips.

The heat controller gets power for its circuit from the blue connector that has the green/light blue wire which comes from the headlight relay. The controller gets the heat control signal from the ECU via a light green/white wire. The ECU signal will most likely be a low power pulse that results in driving the heat controller’s output. The black wire supplies the controller's circuit ground.

Brown = switched ignition power

Brown/Blue = supplies power to the left grip

Red/Black = goes to the heat controller, this wire gets grounded by the controller to complete the grip heat circuit

Green/Light Blue = power from headlight relay

Green/White = heat control signal coming from the ECU

Black = constant ground

Well, if there is supposed to be an increase in the heat, that would mean an increase in the voltage at a certain speed. Since the speedo is read through the transmission, you should be able to replicate road speed on the center stand.
I agree with you. I have a statement and a couple questions. If you take off the black piece of Tuperware to the left of the radiator and expose the back side of the side orange park/marker light, there are two open plugs. One is gray and the other is black. These have about 12.5 volts with the key on, engine off with or without heat controller connected. And, 13+ with engine running. Are these not for OEM grips? If not, embarassing. Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I do not own a Gen II FJR with Yamaha heated grips. What I say about the operation of the heat controller is common for almost all quality heat controllers.
Function:

Your heated grips will have switched ignition power going to the right grip, a series wire will snake over to the left grip which gets connected to the heat controller. Heat is regulated by the heat controller grounding the circuit. The heat controller gets its logic from the ECU on when and how much to heat the grips. The ECU knows vehicle speed and ambient air temperature so it knows how to command the heat controller for the various heat profiles.

The heat controller will ground the grip circuit using a pulse that varies in width to regulate power for less than 100% heat output. At 100% heat command the heat controller will have the circuit completely grounded, no pulsing. A multimeter will have a hard time measuring this pulse regardless if the meter is set to AC or DC.

Hardware:

Right grip should have the gray connector. The brown wire in this connector is switched ignition voltage to power the grips, the power comes from the Signaling System fuse. The brown/blue wire connects the right grip to the left grip, supplying power to the left grip.

Left grip should have a black connector. The brown/blue wire is already described as bringing switched ignition voltage to the left grip. The red/black wire goes to the heat controller. When the heat controller grounds the R/B wire current will flow, heating the grips.

The heat controller gets power for its circuit from the green/light blue wire that comes from the headlight relay. The controller gets the heat control signal from the ECU via a light green/white wire. The ECU signal will most likely be a low power pulse that results in driving the heat controller’s output. The black wire supplies controller circuit ground.

Brown = switched ignition power

Brown/Blue = supplies power to the left grip

Red/Black = goes to the heat controller, this wire gets grounded by the controller to complete the grip heat circuit

Green/Light Blue = power from headlight relay

Green/White = heat control signal coming from the ECU

Black = constant ground
Alan,

Thanks for the info. So, if it's 80 F outside and I'm only going 40 MPH in 3rd, I may or may not get any heat to the grips on high or low?

Thanks,

Clint

So, if it's 80 F outside and I'm only going 40 MPH in 3rd, I may or may not get any heat to the grips on high or low?Thanks,

Clint
I don’t have an answer for this. You may want to ping one of the AE owners (turbodave_98 is an AE owner) and see how their controllers work. The owners manual only says not to operate the grips on HIGH when ambient air temp is over 68° F (20° C). I think this implies that the controller should supply heat even when ambient is ~80°.

It will take several minutes before you would begin to notice heat at the grips.

So, if it's 80 F outside and I'm only going 40 MPH in 3rd, I may or may not get any heat to the grips on high or low?Thanks,

Clint
I don’t have an answer for this. You may want to ping one of the AE owners (turbodave_98 is an AE owner) and see how their controllers work. The owners manual only says not to operate the grips on HIGH when ambient air temp is over 68° F (20° C). I think this implies that the controller should supply heat even when ambient is ~80°.

It will take several minutes before you would begin to notice heat at the grips.
I'm new to this. How do I get in touch with turbo_dave? Thanks again for your help.

How do I get in touch with turbo_dave?
At the top of the page, just under the FJRForum bar, click on 'Members'; enter turbodave_98 in the 'Member name begins with' box and click 'go'. When you put your cursor on the picture in the upper right of turbo's member box a drop-down list will open, click on 'Send Message'.

How do I get in touch with turbo_dave?
At the top of the page, just under the FJRForum bar, click on 'Members'; enter turbodave_98 in the 'Member name begins with' box and click 'go'. When you put your cursor on the picture in the upper right of turbo's member box a drop-down list will open, click on 'Send Message'.
Alan,

Thanks again for the help.

Clint