Has anyone used the TourMaster Deluxe Tailbag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the TM Deluxe Tailbag on the FJR?

I had a Nelson Rigg CL150 that I could mount on the rear seat by hooking the bungies under the seat. It also fit well on Gary's rack.

I sold the NR with my Fizzy last week, and am looking for a similar set up with a bag like the TM. From the photos with the TM Deluxe, it looks like the bungies might be too short to hook together under the rear seat.

Thanks, Skip

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the bag that you speak of. I use it on the rear seat all of the time. I have a Givi rack for my top box & the mounting hooks on the tourmaster hook on it w/ a perfect fit. I'm not so sure that there is anyplace to place the hooks on the stock rack unless you can run them under the seat. I haven't tried that.

Heidi

Uh, maybe because it isn't very big? That's why I didn't get a bag like this.

The Tourmaster deluxe is a good sized bag. Probably not the largest that you can out back there but, very good sized. I carry a pillow & a few other items in it.

I've been using that bag for a number of years on the rear passenger seat. Rather than using the hooks on the bag, I use a pair of "ROK" straps on either side of the bag and around the handrail and they hold it securely.

9086_1as.jpg

They can be gotten any number of places, but they're also caried here

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/ROK-St...ic-p-16421.html

NYPete

I have the passenger backrest and I use the Kuryakun Grand Tour bag. It is very roomy (helmet + lots of gear, excellent outer pockets, and can mount either on the back seat or on the small tail rack that is part of the bike (meaning I don't have/need an aftermarket rear rack "system" to support it). It has rigid sides and bottom so it stays in shape. The huge velcro "belt" that wraps around the backrest also has a great adjustable pad that the wife says is even better than the backrest alone! Has D rings for nets, clips, other bungees, etc to hang from.

Very well made!

C

I forgot to mention. The tourmaster deluxe has pockets on each end of the bag. The walls between the pockets & the main body will unzipper to make the bag one large compartment. You pick your needs. I really like this bag. Word to the wise... be sure that when you're using the supplied raincover, you cinch it down really well.

I lost my original cover somewhere on Interstate 81 in VA. Obviously punishment for not riding backroads instead of interstate.

Oh and Skip... those bungee cords stretch. So possibly this might work for you. I had to tie knots in the bungees to shorten them up a bit after using it a few times.

Okay I know this isn't the bike ya'll like to see but... I've used this TM deluxe tail bag on

a gixxer, 2 vfr's and this ST13... It's an awesome bag and I hope to use it again on my

next bike which hopefully will be a feej...

Highly recommend this tail bag, very handy.

bag.jpg

+1 on the TM Deluxe Tailbag.

However I have Premier Cycle Accessories Lg tail plate and pillon back rest.

I mount the tailbag to the tail plate and the bungies are perfect for that. I also

loop one of the handle straps over the backrest but that's definitely overkill.

I run this set up because I don't want the bulk and weight of a top case. It is

a great set up for riding two up. I just completed a SS1k and went with this

setup (plus a tankbag) without the side cases. It has lots of room and allowed

me to run from dark (cold) to Phoenix (hot) back to dark (cool) and held all

my layers.

I'd bet it would work on the rear seat with no problems.

I have used a TM Deluxe Tour Bag for 4 years now and love it. I use the bungees (which do stretch, as mentioned earlier) and position it on the back seat. The factory trunk fits well behind it, so you can easily use both.

No problems. Very satisfied. :good:

OK, thanks for the info. folks.
B)
I don't know if you're interested, but here is a post where I asked a question about additional storage suggestions. I still haven't made my decision yet, but need to for a trip in June. I also have considered the TM Deluxe Bag. My thought though is it would be nice if the bag was waterproof without have to put a cover on it. If you're on a long trip, you're bound to run into rain. That's been my experience. However, I guess you would have to stop to put on rain gear, so throwing a cover on the bag would not be a big deal either. Anyhow, just thought I would pass along my post.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...&hl=storage

Smoke

Smoke, this bag is water resistant. The weak point being the zippers and seams. The actual material this bag is made of is coated cordura & is plenty water resistant. I myself always use the raincover on it so that the sun doesn't fade the bag.

This particualar bag won't cost you one arm & one leg. It is a great value.

Can I ask where you ordered it from & did you price shop? Aerostich has their Motofizz back-ordered and I could really use a bag by the end of this month.

Ogre, this is where I bought mine. I am not positive if this is the best price that you can find (it was when I got mine) but these folks are A1. You won't find many retailers that are better to deal with. Newenough.com

Thanks Heidi. Just did a quick search and they all seem to be about the same price. Probably find out how long it takes to ship and then maybe give Aerostich another couple of days before doing this.

I got it from New Enough. They have great customer service, and get most of my internet business if they stock the items. I intend to order a new jacket from them when the get the stock in next month.

B)

Latest posts