Hated to Do It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpm

Reaction score
My FJR got rear ended last Sept. After many months of this and that the bike was finally "repaired" in Feb.of this year. Bike still had a major rattle in it. Insurance said they would pay for repair if the shop could find something "broken" otherwise I would have to pay for the labor. Shop gave it go but could not find the issue. Did not charge me for the work but all they did was some tightening of the fairing panels. My thought was the fairing would have to taken apart piece by piece to find the problem. Looked to me at that point I had a potential black hole as far as money goes. If the shop took the fairing apart and found nothing "broken" I would be stuck. By this point I was faced with earplugs for the life of the bike and I was beginning to sour on the FJR. My wife who rear ended me (long story) got a nice bonus at work and said she would pay for a new one (what a woman) Thought about a new FJR but I got the been there done that feeling so I bought a 2011 Concours 14. Here are my impressions regarding the two bikes.

Ergos, etc.- The bikes are similar but the C14 pegs are a bit more forward so the knees are not as bent as with the FJR. I am 5'10". C14 is a bit taller (.5") but this is not an issue. Fairing offers a little more wind protection and I love the heated grips. C14 has all the gadgets (traction control, two different ABS modes, tire pressure sensors, battery voltage and a fuel economy mode)The traction control is definitively a nice feature otherwise unless you love gadgets the rest is window dressing. The rack on the C14 is actually usable. Seat is OK. Slight plus for the C14

Engine- The FJR appears to have more low end grunt. The C14 actually has more torque but does not seem so. The C14 is much smoother. Almost no vibration up to 4K. I am not sure above that as I am still in the breakin phase. I did not think the FJR vibrated enough to complain. FJR has better MPG. No winner here for me.

Brakes- The FJR has one hell of a set of brakes. As with the FJR the C14 has linked brakes but they are not as good as the FJR. Plus for the FJR.

Tranny- I always thought the FJR's tranny was a bit clunky but once you got used to it it was OK and the five speeds were fine. The C14 has 5 speeds and an overdrive gear. Shifting the C14 requires no effort and is as some have described "buttery smooth" Plus for the C14.

Handling- I actually think the C14 handles better than the FJR. I know the mags have complained about the C14's handling but I am fine with it. I am not a super aggressive rider so maybe I don't push enough to notice a difference. Plus for the C14.

Styling- I like the FJR look better. Muffler on the C14 looks like a cannon with the bags removed. C14 bags are lighter and easier to put on and remove. Beauty is the eye of the beholder so no advantage here for me.

Overall I think I am going to favor the C14. Not just because I bought one but the enhanced ergos and smoother tranny are really nice. I also think the traction control is a great feature.

In the ST market the C14 is the best seller followed by the FJR and then the BMW. I wish Yamaha would upgrade the bike a bit. They are super reliable bikes (not sure about the C14 since it is relatively new)

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother has an '09 C14 and it requires premium gas. With gas here at $3.59 for regular he pays $4.00 for premium (ouch!). And its only going to get worse. Other than that he likes it.

Dave

Not sure if it's the same anymore, but removing the secondary butterflies with my 2007 zx-14 made a dramatic difference in the low end grunt. Glad you like your new ride :)

Encountered a C14 rider the day -

the bike looked very competent indeed.

I was able to leave him the corners, then again I was on *my*roads and he was traveling (light).

Spoke a bit with him, he had come from crotchers and was loving the Quacker.

The biggest difference, IMHO, is the brakes (FJR has really 'bad' brakes comparable to a new Connnie) and the transmission. The Connie is butter smooth & even more so with an aftermarket shift star.

Of all the mods that I've done on my ZX-14, the shift star was the best. It's the shizzle!

Congrats on the new ride.

Can't go wrong either way...dime a dozen opinions out there....

Now you can form your own and enjoy both worlds for awhile..

Really takes a full 30k miles each, of ownership to fairly compare two machines thoroughly.

There's all the fluff of new differences and such, but the 30k miles gives the

true facts of nuts and bolts ownership.

Very good you enjoy your new ride, that's all that matter is your grin factor.

Really takes a full 30k miles each, of ownership to fairly compare two machines thoroughly.

Ah----yup!

+1 A review after loading up the miles would be great...especially if you do all your own maintenance. I'm curious to see how the new Connie fares as compared to the FJR.

Pretty much the same assement I have between my '05 FJR and '08 C14 except the handling piece. I find my FJR handles far better than the C14.

Overall I prefer my FJR over the C14 but not by much. Grunt, gas mileage, reliability/maintenance and brakes are a big FJR plus. C14 gets bonus points for the tranny and great 6th gear (90mph at 4k RPM's). Maintenance is a PITA compared to the FJR but that was a well documented concern/issue before I purchased it.

Can I ride your bike?
Don't do it Carver...you might end up with a new mistress. The new '10 and up C-14's are awesome bikes, probably a little more difficult time-consuming for general maintenance, but outstanding specimens nonetheless!

--G

The bigget downfall to the connie 14 to me is the small gas tank. I miss the range of the connie 1000 I had and the FJR gets close.