Have a question for FJR Techs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavy

Reaction score
I have been reading about the new powercommander V with autotune capability.

It is being marketed for 2009 and later models

My question is, will it work on my 2008 AE

I have contacted Dynojet and they told me it may retrofit, but they have not tested it nor do they support the use on earlier models.

Does anyone know if there were any changes between '08 and '09 that would cause a problem?

Any help here would be appreciated. :blink:

I don't know of any differences that would cause a problem. Connectors are the same, ECU pin-outs are the same, etc. The only thing I would think could be different is the stock fuel injection tuning. If using the PCV simply like a PCIII (just a static fuel adjustment map), that could cause problems if using a provided map. If you use the PCV with AutoTune, that possible difference wouldn't matter because it would tune itself to desired air/fuel ratios regardless of the stock tuning.

I guess no one will know for sure until someone tries it.

Thats a great question, I have had thoughts of doing the same thing to my "07ae
Ordered PC V with autotune the other day. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. Hope to have it installed for next weekend.

Ordered PC V with autotune the other day. I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. Hope to have it installed for next weekend.

Installed the PC V yesterday. with the autotune add on box and O2 sensor. All connectors fit perfectly. Instructions are a little weak. But it is a real straight forward install. The PC V is a direct plug in to factory harness except for the ground wire to the battery. The auto tune is a piggyback module attached to the PC V by a CAN bus cable which is a plug in. The O2 sensor has six wires that are attached to the autotune module by means of set screws (all color coded).

Power supply for the autotune is attached to a switched 12v source at the blue wire for the taillights located behind the left side cover. The ground wire just goes to the chassis. I attached it to one of the 6mm bolts holding the rear fuel tank cross brace to the subframe. These two wires are the only ones that require cutting and splicing. This is because the autotune module is universal for all bikes. The only other fabrication I did was to build a small tab that I attached to one of the lower clutch cover bolts fof the purpose of securing the O2 sensor connector as it is quite large and I didn't want it just flopping around.

After the install of the hardware I loaded the supplied software into my laptop and connected it to the PC V by the supplied USB cable. With fingers crossed I started the bike. It started an ran just like perfectly. All power lights on as hoped. PC V and autotune communicating perfectly. (WOO HOO). I checked settings as per instructions and needed to enable the autotune feature by checking the enable autotune box on the screen. I let it warm up and reset the throttle position as per instructions. I do not at this time have any of the optional features hooked up. (such as speed or temp or a switch to turn on/off autotune. I may add these later, I don't know yet.

OK now for the test ride. The PC V came loaded with a map for a stock '09 model which should be reasonably close to my '08. As I rode around I was very happy with the performance. I tried to run it through all the gears and most of the throttle positions and as much of the rpms as I was able to give the autotune a chance to "see" as much of the map as possible. No I didn't get to redline in top gear yet. Rode for about an hour and during this time I could feel

the bike smoothing out and also got crisper throttle response. (big smile).

When I got home I hooked up the laptop and checked the autotune trim settings to see what adjustments it had made. Mostly it changed fueling in the range of 5-15 percent both adding and subtracting fuel as nec. with the exception of one block that it changed 21 percent. I then saved the trim settings and the map in the PC V was altered accordingly. Next time I ride the autotune should have less work to do. The autotune comes with a preset map in it requesting the PC V to maintain a fuel mixture of 13.2 to 13.6 the later used in the cruise range to maintain fuel economy. I may play with these settings later, we will see.

Over all I am very pleased with how well this thing is working. I didn't know what to expect as this was installed on an '08 intsead of the '09 like it was made for. I had previously been using a PCIII with a Wally's smoothness map for GenII and I thought it ran well. Th :assassin: is unit runs as smoothly but the power and response is better than before. Both units are far better than the stock Yamaha tuning. I would have sold the bike if these units were not available.

Well that's about it. I give it two big thumbs up! and it will probably get even better as I put more miles on it. :clapping:

A couple questions...

What was the total cost of the PVC + AutoTune?

Is data logging included with either the PCV or the AutoTune?

I'm interested in comparing to the Motty AFR Tuner (click for my installation details). I paid about $630 for it and $45 for a Bosch wideband O2 sensor. It seems to have most of the features of the PCV + AutoTune, but only maintains one map for all gears. It has a more precise map than the PCV (more distinct throttle positions and RPM values in the grid) and data logging built in, but requires you to splice/solder ALL the connections as it is a generic device for all bikes:

motty_wiring.jpg

A couple questions...
What was the total cost of the PVC + AutoTune?

Is data logging included with either the PCV or the AutoTune?

I'm interested in comparing to the Motty AFR Tuner (click for my installation details). I paid about $630 for it and $45 for a Bosch wideband O2 sensor. It seems to have most of the features of the PCV + AutoTune, but only maintains one map for all gears. It has a more precise map than the PCV (more distinct throttle positions and RPM values in the grid) and data logging built in, but requires you to splice/solder ALL the connections as it is a generic device for all bikes:

motty_wiring.jpg

I got them from More Power Racing. www.morepoweracing.com Total cost was $498.00 (free shipping)

No, I don't think they support data logging. At least I have not read anything about it.

So far I have no complaints.

I am very interested in the Gen II smoothnes result. Since you had a PCIII with the smoothness map, is the new combo as good or better from the smoothness point of view. As you have noted in my ECU post, my '07 AE is a killer.

Can you download the Wally map into the PC V and start from there with the auto-tune?

Thanks for the valuable input!

I am very interested in the Gen II smoothnes result. Since you had a PCIII with the smoothness map, is the new combo as good or better from the smoothness point of view. As you have noted in my ECU post, my '07 AE is a killer.

Can you download the Wally map into the PC V and start from there with the auto-tune?

Thanks for the valuable input!

After a bit of investigation, I see that PC doesn't provide a facility for downloading PC3 files into PC5.

Looking at Wally's/Bill's fueling table and the PC5 table for a stock '09 FJR, there is a bit of smoothing going on in the stock PC5 table.

Did Cavy have to rework the stock PC5 table to Wally's smoothness table then engage Auto-tune or did he just dive in with Auto-tune?

Also did Cavy have to put dummy loads on the stock O2 sensor then put the Auto-tune WB O2 into the stock O2 location?

I wonder if the added expense of dynotuning in order to get individual cylinder balance is worth it??

:eek:

After a bit of investigation, I see that PC doesn't provide a facility for downloading PC3 files into PC5.

Looking at Wally's/Bill's fueling table and the PC5 table for a stock '09 FJR, there is a bit of smoothing going on in the stock PC5 table.

Did Cavy have to rework the stock PC5 table to Wally's smoothness table then engage Auto-tune or did he just dive in with Auto-tune?

Also did Cavy have to put dummy loads on the stock O2 sensor then put the Auto-tune WB O2 into the stock O2 location?

I wonder if the added expense of dynotuning in order to get individual cylinder balance is worth it??

:eek:

Lew,

I did not alter the stock map that came installed in the PCV. I just let the Autotune do its thing. The engine is very smooth. All the snatchy throttle and surging are gone. It feels like an electric motor.

On my '08 I just removed the stock O2 sensor and left the harness open. The Autotune sensor just goes into the stock position and its harness goes up to the Autotune module.

I left my PCV configured the way it came with the exception of activating the Autotune feature. No multicylinder or gear maps. I think this is probably overkill for the average street rider.

I am very pleased with this setup. The bike is a pleasure to ride now.