Haynes Service Manual

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack D

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I saw a post about the Haynes service manual being available. I cannot find the post now even using Google. It seems that the manual is shipped from England. Has anyone seen this manual yet? I would like to buy one but want to make sure that it is more detailed than the bootleg printout, also from England, that I received when I bought my bike. I am especially interested in the procedures for removing plastic at this time. (Also searched for on Google but with no helpful results)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Haynes manual.

I've not yet used it to do any work, but a brief scan through left me somewhat disappointed.

Examples: That "Full Colour" statement on the cover? Read the small print underneath it. All photographs of the FJR are monochrome, and not particularly clear.

They simply(?) stripped the bikes right down and rebuilt them. Good in itself, but if you want to do an "intermediate" job it tells you to take everything apart on the way, just like the OEM manual.

For my AS (read "AE" state-side), they don't help with the "SH_xx" diagnostic system, merely saying it requires a special Yamaha tool (yeah, right, a shorting bit of wire) to do it. "Take it to a Yamaha dealer."

It can be difficult finding what you are looking for, the index is not very comprehensive.

However, it's a lot cheaper than the OEM manual, has all specs clearly set out, they talk about stuff like the directions of the centre-stand bolts, and are generally practical, telling you what to do - "Undo these bolts" rather than simply "Remove the panel". They've re-drawn the wiring diagrams (one for each of the various year differences), these are better to follow for fault diagnosing (but still not easy).

I got mine through Amazon at well under the list price, can't really help with how you get it 'State-side.

mcatrophy makes a number of good points.
The "full color" statement is interesting in that even the picture on the cover is monochrome.

If they are going to expend the effort to develop a worthwhile manual, it should be as complete as reasonably possible as they know their audience will likely be FJR riders and not someone working at a Yamaha dealership.
As suggested, it seems like the manual would be a disappointment.

... even the picture on the cover is monochrome....
Fair's fair, that could be a colour picture of the "Midnight Black" '13 available in the UK.

This is Yamaha's site picture, only difference I can see is the discolouration around the exhaust system:

(Click on image for larger view)

Fairlaner's Uncle Cyril at the London Post Office sobered up enough to mail Papa Chuy his Haynes Yamaha FJR1300 '01-'13 Service & Repair Manual.

I have been sitting next to my swimming pool here in Phoenix this afternoon beside my Margarita blender, I have read a number of the service chapters.

In particular the pages covering the valve adjustment procedure reads clearer than a Factory Manual, only RadioHowie or Biker Geek could screw it up!

Thanks for the info on the Haynes. I'm really puzzled as to why Clymer has seemingly abandoned the motorcycle market. I always felt that theirs were more than incrementally better.

Gen II Plastics Removal by KaitsDad. Good write up at: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/116788-gen-ii-plastic-and-cowling-removal/ I discovered the post after struggling for some time with removing the lower cowling pieces to check some of the common ground connections for corrosion. That was my early exposure to the quantity and quality of information available on the forum and now I have a stack of how-to-do-it articles that will make it into a binder at some point.

Latest posts