Headset Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Anyone install their own headsets?

I just received my new Shoei Neotec and have my Airrider headset from the old one. The speakers go right in, but not sure about the mic. Airride cuts a hole in the cheekpad and runs the mic through it. I have seen some run the boom behind the cheek pad.

Just wondering what you all do. I could take it over to Airrider since they are only two hours away.

Thanks

Anyone install their own headsets?
Sena SMH-10 for about a year now. I made a tiny drill hole to try and position the mic boom, but wouldn't do that now....and don't need it.
I did the same with my Neotec and G9 ( small hole and cable tie to fix mic on place). Works for me very well - when opening helmet often there is no need to readjust mic position.

I have a Neotec and had a Chatterbox installed. I simply pulled out the cheek pad, slipped the microphone boom in there, and snapped it back in place. Simple. No fuss, no muss.

Now I have a Sena SMH10 with it's attached mike. It simply slips up under the face shield, but does require a tiny bit of adjusting when I lift the face shield each time.

CIMG1485.jpg

Just look at that pretty face... anyway, I bought the headphones/remote boom mike set up for it, but haven't installed it yet. Since the mike is the same shape and size as my old Chatterbox unit, I'm quite sure it will fit just fine under the cheek pad once I get around to unboxing and installing it.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'll be buying a new Sena SMH10 and have a modular helmet (hey! they're all the rage), be sure to get the SMH10-11 "universal" model. It is very close to the same price, but you get the option of using a wired velcro stick on mike (for fixed full face helmets) or a wired boom mike for open face or modulars. THe advantage of the wired boom mike is you can place the mike completely independently of the position of the main module, and can run everything underneath the cheek pad without hacking up your mega-bux helmet. I got mine because RevZilla specifically recommended that model with my Scorpion EXO-900 modular helmet, and it does make installation a whole bunch easier.

FYI... There is also a wired universal mike version of the Sena helmet headset clamp for those who have already bought the regular SMH10 and wish to convert to the wired mike, and another helmet headset clamp with the universal mike designed to use ear buds. I just scored one of those off eBay for $20 to try out on the dual sport next season.

Last edited by a moderator: