Heart of Gold Back From Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
With the purchase of young Zaphod at 20K miles I retired Heart of Gold, cannibalized most of the spiffy after-market parts, and left her to adorn the back of my garage in 2010. She had Nevada clay splooged on her from a SPANK bonus, fork oil from a leaky seal for 3000 miles of those rally miles, and a rather shameful looking bungie holding her ass up where the subframe used to reside.

A little over a month ago the girlfriend passed her motorcycle endorsement test and while I tried to pawn off the V-Strom. After a stop to let her clutch hand recover I made the fatal mistake of letting her try my newer FJR in the parking lot. Three or four Figure-8's later she escaped the confines of the parking lot with a grin on her face and motioned me to follow her home. While she looked good doing it....I quickly became worried what this meant. And it didn't help when she said, "This thing is butter!".

She wasn't going to want to settle on the V-Strom..... :huh:

So, I hastily had to put the bike back together in more-or-less stock trim, slid in a new battery, changed the oil, added some fresh fuel, and kicked over the starter. And what I may have thought was amazing, but actually think it's just because it's such a great bike....she fired up on the first try after 2 seconds of firing time. There was maybe half a cough, but then she quickly settled into a smooth idle like she had just gotten up from an afternoon nap. The only way I could tell it was two years was a slight smell of burning dust from the headers.

A quick ride to the car wash to spray off the nastiest bits, top off the tank, and she's ready for the girlfriend to ride!

And, I know the Old Man wants to go for a ride and isn't quite ready for a sidecar.

heartofgoldreborn.jpg

Also, pay no attention to that bit of yellow. It's a piece of benign cancer I never got around to transferring to Zaphod. The bike won't get any more yellow than that....I promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you had a Spare! Otherwise, you would have been Screwed! And Not in the Fun Way! :rolleyes:

She's a Woman. You know she would have taken it. All you would have been able to do is stand there and Smile while Nodding your Head! :yes:

What can we do? The Booty has Magical Powers!! :lol:

Piccies? Of the girlfriend? Because surely, she must look a hell of a lot better on than FJR that your ugly mug ever did. In fact, your dog's ass looks notwithstanding, how she could ever date, much less be seen with a guy who rides the most BUTT UGLY blue and yellow FJR I have ever seen I'll never understand. She must like basket cases. Is she a therapist buy any chance?

Get the God-awful piece of yellow off of Heart of Gold. That's the worse thing you have ever done to her.

Glad to hear things are working out. :)

I've ridden the Man-Strom on a couple of different occasions. Never felt the love for that bike.

Oh, and a really GOOD boyfriend would have that thing waxed and sparkling like a brand new bike for her. Yer slacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piccies? Of the girlfriend? Because surely, she must look a hell of a lot better on than FJR that your ugly mug ever did.
You have a picture of your mother in your wallet don't you Greg? Just look in there! And she's goooood......I barely recognize her picture from the front.

Oh, and a really GOOD boyfriend would have that thing waxed and sparkling like a brand new bike for her. Yer slacking.
Yer right. Dang Utah 1088 is getting close and I REALLY had to spend part of the evening replacing some very old fuel line to the fuel cell....got some whiffs of fuel on the last rally I podiumed on. By the way....that's 9 in a row. How many rallies you podium the past several years. :p

Yer right. Dang Utah 1088 is getting close and I REALLY had to spend part of the evening replacing some very old fuel line to the fuel cell....got some whiffs of fuel on the last rally I podiumed on. By the way....that's 9 in a row. How many rallies you podium the past several years. :p
:finger:

Don't make me come out of retirement and kick your ass - AGAIN. Oh yeah, you've never beat me in any rally we have run together. That must be depressing for you. :D

Better keep me away from your girlfriend......... jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

You have 3 bikes by chance? Maybe the GF and myself will come ride with you this Christmas. We're talking about flying into Phoenix instead of Tucson this year.
Congratulations on getting your "Heart of Gold" roadworthy again Matt, the old warhorse needs a new life with your Gal as its Mistress!

Don't forget, mi Motos es su Motos. I can help with the loan of my FJR and my BMW GS, Hell's Bell's I am even letting that JACKASS Bustanut joker ride my Miss Lucy Liu this September to Oregon with me.

I don't loan out mein "Gisele" BMW K1600GT yet, not even to my own illegitimate Bastard Son SkooterG!!

Iggy, you should have known the Infinite Improbability Drive was never truly shut down! It's no surprise that your GF wanted the FJR, isn't there something about size matters?

Sounds like a ride in December might be brewing...I might even have a spare FJR available as well, I haven't let anyone ride either bike yet, but the FJR is the older sibling, so needs to know how to share...