Heat Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
just purchased and used for the first time this weekend a MiraCool cooling vest.

Soak it in water for 30 minutes and it will keep you cool while riding for two days.

I put it over my shirt and under my mesh jacket and rode 200+ miles on a 93 degree day and it was amazing how much better it was with the evaporative cooling. This puppy really works.

Here is a link to the web site where I purchased it - I bought the beige colored one.

MiraCool

How "wet" does the under shirt get? I don't know if I want to walk around in a wet t-shirt all day.

Don't want to speak for Mike, and since mine hasn't been delivered yet I don't have experience wearing it, but when we stopped for lunch on Saturday, my shirt was wetter from sweating than his was wearing the vest... :blink:

I'm ok with carrying an extra T-shirt to slip on when I've gotten where I'm going in order to stay cool...

Last edited by a moderator:
Used mine yesterday, but did not get two days of cooling. Cooling lasted about 45 minutes. At 117 degrees and less than 10% humidity it was an above average day! When I started the bike the temp. gauge was already at two bars! You ask if the bike was hot? Couldn't feel any heat coming from the bike, even in town when it got to four bars.

my t-shirt under the vest was only damp and did not even look it. I was afraid I would have to walk around in a wet t-shirt but not the case.

As Groo said, it would have been wetter from sweat than what it was with the vest.

It's been 2.5 full days now and the vest is still able to cool.

I am very impressed by this vest.

One article I read said the vest with the sewn-in crystals, which this has, retained the water longer so it stayed cool longer.

my t-shirt under the vest was only damp and did not even look it. I was afraid I would have to walk around in a wet t-shirt but not the case.
As Groo said, it would have been wetter from sweat than what it was with the vest.

It's been 2.5 full days now and the vest is still able to cool.

I am very impressed by this vest.

One article I read said the vest with the sewn-in crystals, which this has, retained the water longer so it stayed cool longer.

I've got the Joe Rocket Sahara... not so sure that it'd last 2 days... but can easily get a good day out of a good soaking. My skin was actually cold under the vest so these types really do work. Didn't help that heat coming from that 1300cc engine, though!.

Tee was a little wet upon complete hydration of the vest, though. I think that this particualr vest doesn't have the water sucking crystals... but works really well. It was 1/2 price at newenough.com. Not sure if it still is. Take a look/see. Definitely worth the bucks.

And believe me... if this vest won't stay wet for 2 days it's easily recharged under a restroom sink.

Regardless of the brand... these vests do work. That is my point.

the vests with the sewn-in crystals are supposed to stay wet longer per a report I read on MCN. This vest proves it.

As luvtoride points out - the vests do work and I'm glad I bought mine - better living through chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:
the vests with the sewn-in crystals are supposed to stay wet longer per a report I read on MCN. This vest proves it.
As luvtoride points out - the vests do work and I'm glad I bought mine - better living through chemistry.
How small does it pack down when not in use?

i went with the $30.00 cheapo vest. stays wet along time alright, but when i stop for lunch i feel a bit clammy so i've taken to tossing it in the side bag so i can dry out before a planned stop.

definately does cool me down. left it on too long one day. got up high where it was cooler and got cold fast.

derek

"How small does it pack down when not in use?"

When the vest is wet it is about like a sweater (with no arms) as the crystals are still expanded - when it's dry it folds down to about six inches by seven inches by about 1/2 inch thick. Very compact when dry. Like a normal clothe vest.

It was delivered in a standard slightly larger than normal non-padded envelope.

I soaked it in water at 0800 on Saturday morning and as of Tuesday morning at 0600 some of the crystals on the back have still not totally dried up. Amazing.

Used mine yesterday, but did not get two days of cooling. Cooling lasted about 45 minutes. At 117 degrees and less than 10% humidity it was an above average day! When I started the bike the temp. gauge was already at two bars! You ask if the bike was hot? Couldn't feel any heat coming from the bike, even in town when it got to four bars.
Now thats a test! I dont think anything will withstand the desert temps! Buut 45 minutes is pretty good here. I may try one if they make it big enough for me.

Ok....looks like I'm in for one for the IBA meeting... if this one question gets answered...Lets say the morning starts out cool and you are not ready for the vest...as the temps heat up and you need the vest, I take it you want to 'prep' the vest the night before.....the question is this: Do you just put the vest in a plastic bag to keep the rest of your gear dry until you need the vest?

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter.....I'm really not ignorant, I just lack knowledge...