Heat issue gone or what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Joe

Reaction score
Just curious if the new '06 owners who've had previous FJR's can truly say that Yamaha has solved the heat issues!

Lets hear the reviews.

MJ

Can't say for sure. It's not 100 here yet.
I haven't noticed any excess heat. I never rode a previous model though so I can't tell you if it is all that different or if I just have a high tolerance. I would expect some heat since I am straddling a 1300 cc motor incased in plastic though. :p

When summer comes around here it doesn't matter how good the heat fix is, you will bake on any bike.

Just curious if the new '06 owners who've had previous FJR's can truly say that Yamaha has solved the heat issues!Lets hear the reviews.

MJ
Don't know anything about heat issues in any of the years.

I do hear that the '06 has a special insert under the tank that looks suspiciously like a container of Jiffy Pop popcorn. A nd I hear that shroud is guaranteed to annoy farklers greatly and probably add labor charges anytime people take them in for service like spark plugs, TBS, valve check, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE HEAT ISSUE ! :D

Hey! What happend to your silly little ""? A little forum challenged today, are we? :D :p

Man, the only heat issue I know about is the ambient air temperature one here in Arizona from April to October. So for all you girly-men, wusses, and whiners - go get in your cage already!

:****:

And as for you MJ - a wee bit of time reading over various recent topics and you would have found numerous posts from old 03-05 owners and now new 06 owners claiming the non-existant heat issue to be officially fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never spent a lot of time on previous FJR's -

While '06 riders may claim that the heat issue is fixed - I've got to tell you -

if it is fixed - you earlier riders must have some pretty scabby looking legs !

When compared to other bikes - (ok - maybe not the ST1300) - there is definitely heat coming off this bike. It is NOT unbearable nor is it unmanageable. My LT was nowhere near as hot - hell - my old Valkyrie with the motor sitting unshielded was not as hot.

I understand there were some fixes for the prior years - but my hat is off to you pioneers - with the scabs on your legs. One thing for sure -- you must have ridden with protective gear, cause a run to the post office with shorts on would have crippled you.

Had an 04. Did the heat fix about 2 months after I got it and it virtually did away with the heat. Got the 06 and so far no heat at all but have only ridden in the upper 80's F. so far. When I ride it in the upper 90's and low 100's, I will know for sure. So, at this time I have to say NO HEAT.

Too cool yet to tell.

I had an '05 that only ever really bugged the hell out of me twice. Both times, it was 95F+ , stalled traffic , and less than a half tank. I remember being shocked at how much the tank was burning my thighs. At all other times, I found the '05 FJR heat very managable.

I've ridden the '06 in some 80 degree weather. So far, I haven't felt any heat coming off it.

Given the solution Yamaha borrowed from the "heat fix" farklers, and the success the farklers had with it, I'd say they've likely solved the "problem". On top of the Jiffy Pop, they've also increased airflow around the engine to eliminate the accumulation of heat.

Just got back from a nice long weekend ride and didn't notice any heat issues at all....I came off a VFR prior to owning the FJR and the heat kicking off that was much worse.

To Early to tell. My ride today was in 72 degrees. The last heater i sold wouldnt cook me untill it reached 80. i did notice some warmth coming from the bike, which i did not notice on the last heater at 70. If the heat levels stays where its currently at, i'd say they've done it. If it continues to rise as the heat increases, i'd say their workin it, but are far from lickin it.

GreyGoose

Just curious if the new '06 owners who've had previous FJR's can truly say that Yamaha has solved the heat issues!

Absolutely! I have previously had a 2003 FJR and I live in Texas so I know the heat issue well.

The new 2006 has no heat issue- in fact, you can feel a light stream of cool air coming round the tank. Wil this mean we have a cold issue in the Fall/winter? I don't think so as others have already reported that adusting the vents on the sides negates this issue. I personally haven't messed with these vents yet as it has been fairly warm here since buying the 2006- have already been rding in the 90s.

John