Heat Pouring out of Left Side of Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBones

Reaction score
Took a demo ride on an '07 FJr today. Had a blast! One concern was that I felt a lot more heat than I thought I would pouring out of the left side of the engine. I had a good pair of boots on, thick socks, and my foot was uncomfortably hot in less than 15 minutes. The temp outside was about 85.

Any one else experience this??

Its not the kind of heat I want to have to cope with.

DBones

My quick answer is that I only notice the heat you describe after I've been sitting at a long traffic light, and when I first begin to move again, the heat 'comes out' for a few moments and than goes back to normal.

Having ridden several different makes and models of motorcycles, the Generation II FJR is most certainly NOT a hot motorcycle, unless you're coming from a Gold Wing. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised on how good of a job Yamaha did in fixing the heat issue that plagued the Gen I bikes.

As always, YMMV.

It has a 1300 cc enginge!!! What did you expect it to make ice cubes?

The heat doesn't even bother me on my Gen I and the Gen II addressed much of the heat issues.

The FJR puts out some heat. Some people think its unbearable while others don't think too much of it. If its something you don't think you can cope with, then this isn't the bike for you. Be glad you found out before dropping some serious coin on it.

I have the 'hotter' gen 1 FJR and always ride with boots and motorcycle overpants and usually keep the liner in the pants even in hot weather. That works for me and I'd rather tolerate the heat than ride some other bike. As vectorp1 said, if the heat is too much for you then you probably won't like the FJR, and you probably won't like any of the close competitors either.

[SIZE=12pt]I Like the Heat[/SIZE]

images-2.jpg

Smitty's heat blanket does the trick on my gen 1, prior to that I suffered some serious heat issues, but hey I knew that before I bought the bike...it's still not enough to offset the smile I get everytime I ride this thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a demo ride on an '07 FJr today. Had a blast! One concern was that I felt a lot more heat than I thought I would pouring out of the left side of the engine. I had a good pair of boots on, thick socks, and my foot was uncomfortably hot in less than 15 minutes. The temp outside was about 85.
Any one else experience this??

Its not the kind of heat I want to have to cope with.

DBones
You wus! go back to your cage!

Heat? The FJR has a heat issue? Huh, go figger.
He's just referring to the afterburner output. Mine, as a quicker Gen I bike, puts out a bit more, as it's directly relative to the amount of thrust produced.

Perhaps a nice, sedate, water-cooled Polaris would suit him better....

It must be Friday! The water is chock full o' bait.

Check the tupperware and make sure it's in! I ride in 90+ degree temps in southern fl, in shorts,no socks and tennis shoes without a problem. When the tupperware is out, my ankles burn. (Strange)

Got an 06, same as the 07, and I've only had the opportunity to ride it with the temp in the low 90's. Didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. My Sprints put off more heat. Might want to check to see if one of those foam air dams is missing or some other tupperware issue.

IIRC, the Gen II has an adjustable vent in the fairing (I just remember someone mentioning this, I don't actually know because I have a Gen I), maybe the vent was not in the correct position ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Kawasaki can get it rite on there Concourse, why can't Yamaha get it rite with the heat issue on the FJR???

And I have an 05 weekend rider :) :D

Yes, the bike can put out heat off the left side. Especially after sitting in traffic. But then, any bike that has fairings around it is going to do this. Everyone I've had does, some more than others. The current FJR is certainly tolerable. Just where is that air from the radiator supposed to go?

Tip that damn thing over on it's right side and pour it back in! ASAP!

That heat is a needed commodity and isn't covered under the warranty :unsure: Damned expensive ta replace, nearly twice the cost of smoke !

:jester: