Heat Pouring out of Left Side of Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just traded in my '06 ST1300A last week for an '07 FJR because of the heat. There is no comparison between my FJR and the previous ST1300. I found in the 95 degree weather today that it gets warm when stopped at light but cools right down when the bike gets going. I am very pleased at the difference/improvement on the heat management between the two bikes.

On the ST the gas tank and the frame just below the upper gas tank got uncomfortably hot, you could hardly hold it in your hand. I put my cell. phone in the front right pocket last year in 100 degree weather and it cooked the LCD display on the commute home with no stops at lights, etc.

The FJR is a great bike and you might have some minor heat around the ankles. But if you think it is bad go ride a ST1300 and there is no comparison. There are several of us that have changed in the last few months from the Honda to the Yamaha and we all say the same. The FJR is not bad at all and when compared to some other bikes the heat management is great.

I am pleased as punch that I get to just ride and don't worry it hurting my crotch like the last ride. I wouldn't try to over analyze this one.

Took a demo ride on an '07 FJr today. Had a blast! One concern was that I felt a lot more heat than I thought I would pouring out of the left side of the engine. I had a good pair of boots on, thick socks, and my foot was uncomfortably hot in less than 15 minutes. The temp outside was about 85.
Any one else experience this??

Its not the kind of heat I want to have to cope with.

DBones
Seems like a bunch of us are old crusty bastards........ Isn't engine heat lovely, I find it much cheaper than BenGay. :dribble:

I just traded in my '06 ST1300A last week for an '07 FJR because of the heat. There is no comparison between my FJR and the previous ST1300. I found in the 95 degree weather today that it gets warm when stopped at light but cools right down when the bike gets going. I am very pleased at the difference/improvement on the heat management between the two bikes.
On the ST the gas tank and the frame just below the upper gas tank got uncomfortably hot, you could hardly hold it in your hand. I put my cell. phone in the front right pocket last year in 100 degree weather and it cooked the LCD display on the commute home with no stops at lights, etc.

The FJR is a great bike and you might have some minor heat around the ankles. But if you think it is bad go ride a ST1300 and there is no comparison. There are several of us that have changed in the last few months from the Honda to the Yamaha and we all say the same. The FJR is not bad at all and when compared to some other bikes the heat management is great.

I am pleased as punch that I get to just ride and don't worry it hurting my crotch like the last ride. I wouldn't try to over analyze this one.
Welcome and congrats on the new Feejer!

I too, am a member of the *former* ST1300 owners club. I agree w/ your comparison 100%. 'Heat' is all a matter of relevance and what you are used to -or not used to riding. The Gen II FJR is a dream compared to most anything else that makes 'real' HP.

Have fun on the Feej. You won't miss the ST.

My 04 FJR gives off a fair amount of heat on the left side. When it is hot out like when I crossed the Mojave desert at high noon in the summertime two years ago, the air coming out on the left side was mighty toasty. Gas tank and frame were very warm.

I think Yamaha addressed the problem pretty good by revising the air flow. I'll find out very soon, picking up an 07 FJR in less than two weeks.

dbones,

I was going to ask...............what bike are you riding now or have ridden in the past? :blink:

I traded in an '06 ST-1300 ass-beque and I can tell you my '07 FJR runs like a refrigerator compared to the ST. The gas tank on the ST used to get so damned hot the gas would gurgle when you filled it on a hot day. And the heat from the vents on my legs about roasted my calves if the temp got over 80F. And last but not least my nads about fried off one time coming back up the hill from Tucson when the air temp was 100F!

Believe me the FJR is NOT a hot bike to ride, especially here in SE Arizona. <_<

AZ

I've had a lot of fully faired bikes and the ST1300 was the biggest roaster.

I did notice some heat, like a hair dryer blowing on low at my lower legs when temps over 85 but not too bad. I mentioned this to a couple other FJR riders last week and they said "open your side fairing vents" Doh!

The '06 and '07 models have improved air flow and I didn't even think about those vents. It took about 30 seconds to make the adjustment and wow! no more heat anywhere. This now rates as the coolest(least hot) fully faired bike I've owned.

Steve

Smitty's heat blanket does the trick on my gen 1, prior to that I suffered some serious heat issues, but hey I knew that before I bought the bike...it's still not enough to offset the smile I get everytime I ride this thing!
+1 on Smitty's heat blanket ... well worth the few bucks it costs.

JW