Heated clothing connections

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than highjack the heated clothing thread going on, I thought I'd start a seperate thread dealing with just the connections. I just ordered a Aerostitch Darien jacket and have the choice of SAE, BMW or Quick connect (coax). I like the idea of a panel mount jack to plug into, so that narrows it down to BMW or coax. Is there any compelling reason to go with one or the other? Sounds like the BMW is more water proof, but is there a downside to the BMW connections?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I've been riding for many years, but have never used heated clothing even when riding in 10degree weather in north Georgia in my younger years.

$5.00 -- clickable pic. RV roof mount SAE connector, can be weather tight.
I guess that'll work for a SAE connection, but man is that thing huge! Where would you mount it (assuming you also wanted to mount heated grips controllers, etc)? The BMW jacks I've seen have a little spring loaded cap and are a fraction of the diameter of that SAE plug.

I've used the BMW mount with a panel mount Heat Troller for a coupla years now. They work great - no problems of any kind.

The set up is small, unobtrusive and professional in appearance. [ left side panel ]

The Heat Troller is expensive , but well worth the money . Set your temp and forget it and only use the electrical power needed to power the heat level you're actually using - nice if you're powering several things at once.

I'm partial to a BMW plug (Jastek). Besides the compactness of the connector type, it's also got a nice spring-loaded cap, a positive click, and a nice metal-to-metal surface area with copper to copper.

That said....I have a Warm-n-safe...so it then converts to a coax on the jacket....which are nice and compact.

What about that inevitible walk away from the bike while still plugged in? Does the BMW plug pull out without damaging anything? I've used SAE connections and it seems like you could easily rip wiring with those. The coax would probably just pull out.

I bought the Widder and was heading out the next day for a ride with Lorie. I bought a Hella BMW type plug, wired it to my BlueSea and keep it stored under the pax seat until needed, pull it out a bit and plug the vest in. Works great for me and I didn't have to mount it on the bike. And yes, if you forget to unplug it, it will do so itself w/o a whole lot of force.

It all depends on how you have it mounted. If you mount the socket facing up in one of the front panels then it's going to have a hard time pulling out. Using the mount I have, and referenced above, I know for a fact it will pull out.

I used Powerlet/BMW style on my 05. Planning on doing the same on the 07.

Walking away while still connected can certainly produce a healthy "tug". But you have to compromise between the connections integrity while bouncing around the road and whipping in the wind, versus how easily it comes out when you forget to unplug. I prefer to err on the side of good mechanical/electrical integrity, thus my choice is Powerlet.

Powerlet plugs are also frequently available out on the road at bike shops. Coax is typically not, that I have seen.

I too like the coaxial plugs.

Watch the location to make sure you have enugh cable to move around on the seat, plus so that it won't chafe the bike's paint. Mine chafed and wore through the topcoat real fast.

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to go with the BMW plug for my new Darien jacket that'll arrive next week. One thing I like that's not been mentioned is that you can get an adapter that allows you to stick the BMW plug into a standard cigarette lighter outlet. How cool!

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to go with the BMW plug for my new Darien jacket that'll arrive next week. One thing I like that's not been mentioned is that you can get an adapter that allows you to stick the BMW plug into a standard cigarette lighter outlet. How cool!
You probably already know this, but DON'T PLUG YOUR HEATED ANYTHING INTO THE CIG LIGHTER SOCKET INSIDE THE GLOVE BOX. You will learn early about removing panels and changing fuses. 3-amp max I believe.

BMW sockets

DSCF1360.jpg