Heated Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Getting a little chilly around here in cincinnati (morning ride was 35 degrees). i've got a set of gerbing heated gloves. I need to know if the outlet in the storage compartment will handle the power requirements of the mitts. Anyone know how i can find out (without plugging them in and and potentially blowing the fuse).

thanx

GreyGoose

It might run them, but it's going to depend on the wattage of the gloves with the 3.0 amp fuse Trigger was right about.

Let's say 3.0 amps x 12 volts (a conservative reading ) and you get 36 theoretical watts. Widders are rated at 20 watts and Gerbings 22 watts IIRC so it seems reasonable to run gloves if you have good solid connections not adding to the load and probably nothing else on this relatively wimpy circuit.

....think about spending the winter months to install a Powerlet and relayed circuit with like 20 amps and feel safe. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a little chilly around here in cincinnati (morning ride was 35 degrees). i've got a set of gerbing heated gloves. I need to know if the outlet in the storage compartment will handle the power requirements of the mitts. Anyone know how i can find out (without plugging them in and and potentially blowing the fuse).

thanx

GreyGoose

I have an 06A and purchased a set of Gerbing Classics early spring in 07. Wanted to ride that day so plugged my Gerbing dual controller (I plan to purchase the heated vest this fall), into the Glove box outlet. It worked super well with the only problem being....you really can't close the glove box lid on the cord without flexing the lid. When I got home, I wired my Battery Tender cable to my battery and now when I want to use the Gerbing Gloves, I plug in the 6" adapter that Gerbing sells for $5, converting the 2 prong Battery Tender to the Gerbing coax connector. This works very well, you just must remember not to leave your gloves plugged in when to turn off the bike as it's always on. Sometimes I start the bike and then reach down to my right and plug in my controller to that cable coming out past the adjustable part of the side fairing. When I shut off the bike, I reach down and unplug my controller. Worked very well coming back to Portland, Orygun from Wisconsin in mid October. 32 Degrees, a stiff headwind, and snow coming down into Larimie, WY but my hands were toasty! :rolleyes:

27Man

I wired a Grebing harness directly to the battery using the 15A fuse they supply and no relay and then ran it through the dual Controller. I used Gerbing gloves and jacket the other day with no problems (boy did they feel good). I also have the pants and socks, and we'll see if it'll handle all that, but if it won't it'll simply blow the fuse. Incidently, the socks present a real problem - they have enough bulk because of the wires that they won't fit comfortably in your regular riding boots. So what do you do, buy a separate set of boots a size larger? (Maybe, and perhaps waterproof too . . . )