Heated Grip preference

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Wetterling

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I did multiple Searches to find input from fellow FJR'ers on preferred Heated Grips. Didn't find much, hence this post.

New '08. Chicago. To extend the season, definitely need some heated grips. I also would like a bit more cushy grip itself.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I see my dealer sells OEM Yamaha's for $390! I also see Hot Grips on line for apprx $100. Huge spread. Any idea why?

Thanks for the help!

I did multiple Searches to find input...Didn't find much, hence this post.
Man, you would have thought that this would have been covered before. ;)

The Yamaha grip system is plug 'n play. The heat controller is speed sensitive and senses if the engine is running to prevent a dead battery. The grips themselves are part of the kit, you get no choice.

The Hot Grips, Dual Star, Symtec, etc. are heat tapes that you wrap around the handle bar, then install the grips of your choice. You will need to install a heat controller and preferably an ignition switched relay for the power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did multiple Searches to find input...Didn't find much, hence this post.
Man, you would have thought that this would have been covered before. ;)

The Yamaha grip system is plug 'n play. The heat controller is speed sensitive and senses if the engine is running to prevent a dead battery. The grips themselves are part of the kit, you get no choice.

The Hot Grips, Dual Star, Symtec, etc. are heat tapes that you wrap around the handle bar, then install the grips of your choice. You will need to install a heat controller and preferably an ignition switched relay for the power.
Actually Hot Grips are a bit different. The heat element is imbedded in the grips similar to the Mamma Yamma grip kit.

https://www.hotgrips.com/

That said, after having ridden with the heated grips for two cold seasons, I think before I need them again next year I'll be getting heated gloves. The grips only warm one side of your hand. When it's really cold enough to need them you'll have heavy gloves on and they won't work as well. Heated gloves would keep the whole hand warm. YHGMV

I used Honda heated grips off a ST. They come with a nifty controller that looks very nice and cuts off to protect your battery charging if you're drawing too much current. They are similar to the Yami setup except they are not speed dependent and they aren't plug -n- play. Do a search for Honda heated grips and you'll find a previous post with pictures and instructions.

They work great and have given me no problems in the 8 months they've been installed (other than a problem I induced myself). Because my hands are very easily chilled, I also added the Vstrom handguards for complete hand comfort in temps down to the mid 20's.

If you want the Honda grips softer, you can easily add grip puppies, which are foam sleeves that slip over any grip. I believe I got mine at casporttouring.com.

I have the Symtec's, they work great. The 3-way toggle switch recently broke, I E-mailed them and they sent me a new one, no charge, not even shipping. Great customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used heated gloves for over 10 years. About 3 years ago I found a set for my Gold Wing similar to the Symtec's. I think I used my heated gloves maybe twice after that. One of the first things I put on my FJR when I got it last November was Symtecs and, yes, wiring for heated gloves. I've plugged the gloves in once.

I'm not against heated gloves, but, especially for the price, the Symtec's are the FIRST way to go. Get the gloves later. I use the heated grips pretty much year around. It's nice to just flip a switch for a few minutes on those cool mornings instead of having to dig out the heavier gloves...

I also installed the Honda ST1300 heated grip kit on my 06 FJR. It looks GREAT with the flush buttons and mount. I thought the Yama knob looked kind of clunky. After using the ST kit for a season, I actually wished I had a knob that would be easier to use with gloves. The LEDs are not easy to see without standing up and looking straight down too. Overall, the knob is probably a better choice even though the flush-mounted LED ST kit looks better.

Steve

I've been using Koso heated grips clicky. Only $55!

Had good success with them prior to FJR ownership, on my CBX. And have have good luck with them on my FJR for well over a year now.

I opted for the Dual Star route as described here. I used a two position rocker switch for hi-lo power circuits of the grips. Used the same setup on previous bike (Concours). 5+ years, very happy.

grip install/wiring

The Dual Stars and rocker switch I bought from Murph, about $40.

Murphs

The relay was about $5 at Radio Shack.

I went with the Dual Star like Fjready. I used a rheostat for the heat control to better adjust to different temps when going up into the mountains. Also installed the v-Stromm hand guards.

Still need winter gloves to keep the backhand warm when the temps dip below the 40's.

It was a very easy install. Went with BMW hand grips for more comfort.

I also went with Dual Star heating elements, BMW grips, Heat Troller for variable heat, V-Strom hand guards, Power Trip Dakota leather winter riding gloves(which are very comfy but not very warm).

I've ridden in 26 degree F and the only part of my hands that got cold were my thumbs, which you can avoid if you put your thumbs up next to your index fingers, but it's not very comfy, or safe. Also when using heated grips you have to keep your fingers on the grips or you will not warm them. With the set up I have my hands are good down to about 32 deg. F.

I've thought of elec. gloves but to many conflicting stories about comfort.

If you don't mind doing the wiring and mounting, it's cheaper to do what I did. If you are not comfy with doing it then go for the Yamaha kit because it's a plug & play deal.

A.C.

Latest posts