Heated grips controller replacement...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mept

Reaction score
I am a somewhat new FJR owner since last fall when I traded my V-Strom for a used 04. Only problem with the bike was a broken controller for the heated grips. Yamaha will not sell just the controller seperate from the entire grips package. Anybody out there know enough about electronics to find a better and cheaper way to get the grips set-up to work again???

I understand that their are 2 basic ways the amount of heat is controlled, but I don't know the technical names for the methods, and I don't know which way the factory controller was set up originally. My thoughts were to put some type of weather proof switch or knob into the fairing and control it that way. Any idea on a good source for the parts I would need???

Thanks.

mept, you have a PM.

The two basic methods are a Pulse Width Modulator which is very efficient and infinitely adjustable. The other is a one or two position switch with a power reducing resistor. The switch is 0% efficient but simple. Inefficent means that it wastes a huge amount of power and makes lots of waste heat.

One brand of an infinitely adjustable controller is a Heat Troller. Search on Heat Troller and you will be overwhelmed with info :)