Heated grips wiring help - Dual Stars with Heat Troller

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All

Finally tackling my non working heated grips that my 06 came with. The issues are two fold. First, when it rains they short to full on and get very hot. When turned on regularly they do not seem to be as hot as they should be. The person who wired used barrier strip rather than splicing the wires.

I completely understand the power side of things and the relay. Here are my questions for those who may have used these.

The heat troller has a blue wire and white wire used to attach the grips. Blue is + and white is -

The grips each have a red, blue and white wire.

Instructions say blue is for low heat and tape them off separately

Shows red goes to troller blue and white goes to troller white

Blue from the grips go nowhere.

Is this correct. Do we use only red as positive to troller or both red AND blue from grip to troller positive. White goes to white as negative.

Trying to rewire correctly for correct heat output and also try to seal everythibg to avoid the rain short issue..

Thanks

I wired both red and blue to Heattroller.

With the Heattroller there should be no issue

with too much heat.

Hi All
Finally tackling my non working heated grips that my 06 came with. The issues are two fold. First, when it rains they short to full on and get very hot. When turned on regularly they do not seem to be as hot as they should be. The person who wired used barrier strip rather than splicing the wires.

I completely understand the power side of things and the relay. Here are my questions for those who may have used these.

The heat troller has a blue wire and white wire used to attach the grips. Blue is + and white is -

The grips each have a red, blue and white wire.

Instructions say blue is for low heat and tape them off separately

Shows red goes to troller blue and white goes to troller white

Blue from the grips go nowhere.

Is this correct. Do we use only red as positive to troller or both red AND blue from grip to troller positive. White goes to white as negative.

Trying to rewire correctly for correct heat output and also try to seal everythibg to avoid the rain short issue..

Thanks
Only the white wire is used on the positive side as the heat troller makes the heat selection variable. No need for the low heat blue wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wired both red and blue to Heattroller.With the Heattroller there should be no issue

with too much heat.
There is parallel wiring in the grip elements. By hooking both the white and blue wires to the heat troller, you are doubling your heat amperage. This is only a good thing if you need the extra heat. Normally, the one element is fine.

Maybe it would be ok to wire only the throttle heat element using both the white and blue wires to make up for the plastic throttle piece that reduces the felt heat?

This is assuming the the red wire is the ground (return). I am not positive, it may be the white wire is the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your replies. Just for clarity sake. I checked the diagram I have. Wires coming from the heat troller show that Blue is 12+ and White is "return". To me that means the whites from the grips go to the white from the troller as the diagram shows. Then the questions is:

Do I use just the Red from the grips to the blue on the troller or do I join the red and blue from the grips and join them both to the blue on the troller. To me that means there is 12V going through both circuits within the grip making them hotter. Then I can just use them on a lower setting for the same heat.

Am I thinking this through correctly?

Thanks,

You are correct. Perhaps I wasn't very clear. I connected both circuits to

the Heattroller for more heat. Subsequently regulated by the Heattroller.

I never have to run them full on.

And spoken from a true Pennsylvanian so how can I not trust you. Lived over East in Bucks and Montgomery Counties for 23 years before I moved to TN. Used to ride out your way all the time. Thanks again...