Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prudoe

Reaction score
Have a 2006 FJRA = traditional manual shift with clutch; ordered and paid for heated grips (package deal when I bought the bike) and was told for 6 months by Yamaha USA that the '03-'05 FJR Grips were not the right part and not compatible. Yamaha USA (not the dealer) said a new 2006 FJRA model specific heated grip was in development and late to market - it should arrive by August, then September then October then November. NOW Yamaha USA has suddenly changed their tune:"The '03 thru '05 Heated Grips, although labeled '03 thru '05 are also compatible with '06 - Any one else gotten this run around and what's the truth????

Have a 2006 FJRA = traditional manual shift with clutch; ordered and paid for heated grips (package deal when I bought the bike) and was told for 6 months by Yamaha USA that the '03-'05 FJR Grips were not the right part and not compatible. Yamaha USA (not the dealer) said a new 2006 FJRA model specific heated grip was in development and late to market - it should arrive by August, then September then October then November. NOW Yamaha USA has suddenly changed their tune:"The '03 thru '05 Heated Grips, although labeled '03 thru '05 are also compatible with '06 - Any one else gotten this run around and what's the truth????
Prudoe,

Me thinks your dealer is bending you over -

The factory heated grips that come stock on the AE model, are a direct plug in on the A model. Notice that little square knock-out plate on the left panel? And, if you pull the panels, you will notice the empty molex plugs for the wiring harness to plug into.

There is at least one forum member who can tell you from personal experience that the earlier model heated grips DO NOT WORK on the 06 models.

Let us know how it works out with your dealer.

And by the way - Welcome to the forum !!

Prudoe,

Me thinks your dealer is bending you over -

The factory heated grips that come stock on the AE model, are a direct plug in on the A model. Notice that little square knock-out plate on the left panel? And, if you pull the panels, you will notice the empty molex plugs for the wiring harness to plug into.

There is at least one forum member who can tell you from personal experience that the earlier model heated grips DO NOT WORK on the 06 models.

Let us know how it works out with your dealer.

And by the way - Welcome to the forum !!

Thanks for the welcome; this misinformation comes not from my dealer who's been helpful but rather from the horse's mouth: YAMAHA USA - where would I find the forum member's report detailing heated grip incompatibility with the '06 ? Thanks for your help

First, I would suggest using the search function - use +heated +grips and you will have about 4 pages of hits that you can dig through -

But here are a few threads that speak specifically to the grips, and may answer your questions:

Post 1

Here's a thread from forum member NovaFlyer about the OEM kit - it's a direct plug in:

NovaFlyer Heated grips - 06

I bought one of these kits locally. It's sitting in the garage but not yet installed. I seem to recall it cost around $65.00. The NovaFlyer post has a link to the supplier site, and using that, I located a local provider within 7 miles of my home.

The reason the earlier year kits don't work is that the wiring is different. It's possible that the kits being produced now are compatable with all model years.

Best of luck.

I am one of those that the dealer installed the old model heated grips and said they were a bitch to install and took 6 hours but he would only charge me for 3. I saw the controller mounted off the brake resevoir(?) and not in the dash cutout I was not happy. It turns out they never installed heated grips before(i am in FL) and then they gave me some crap about removing them and giving me my money back. They finally agreed to do the right thing and the correct grips have still not come in. Everett

I picked up my 06 two weeks ago, bought and paid for the heated grips at the time of purchase. I specificaly asked for the new grips like the ones that come on the AE but when I picked up the bike it had the pre 06 style mounted on the master brake cylinder. I wasn't really pleased but but they showed me the accessory cataloque the ones I received are the ones Yamaha advertises and lists for the 06, I saw it in the book myself. Anyway, not being really anal I'm happy with the way they work and don't really care what they look like. The mechanic took about 10 minutes (I watched) to hook up to the pre-wired existing plugs.

As an aside, I traded my 05 650 VStrom on the FJR and the factory heated grips and controler I had on the Suzuki are exactly the same as the Yamaha "factory" grips, or at least look the same. Someone on the VStrom forum found out you can buy the grips and controler direct from the manufacturer (or their distributor) for about $50 CAN. I got mine at dealer cost when I negotiated for my FJR but still expensive.