Heavy bar-end weights and speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't come to any definitive conclusion based on advice from FJR experienced riders.

As most of you know, FJR does have vibes in the grips above/around 60-70 mph cruising in 5th and a heavy bar end weight would help reduce that. NJ LEOs are fucking with me, so I haven't ventured yet above 80 (it's hard to do!) to know how it feels at higher speeds and / or higher RPMs in 4th, etc. FWIW I have bought a V-1 and also looking for a perfect concealment solution. I also bought a remote display and a remote audio unit.

The heaviest bar-end weight I came across is about 13oz by Top Gun.

What's your experience with this or other weights?

I installed some Manic Salamander stainless steel bar end weights on my '06. I did not actually weigh them but the manufacturer claims that they weigh 16 oz. each. I was able to feel a difference. The resonance period has moved enough to increase my comfort.

There is another thread floating around about bar end weights. I've had experience with three different after-market sets of bar ends........they're all essentially useless in making any real improvement in the bar buzz situation. Everybody is different.......give them a try. They may help you. None of them ( Top Gun, Salamander, Throttlemeister ) gave me any discernable relief.

Don't forgot that Throttlemeister is a heavy bar end weight, and is also a built in cruise control... they work great... !!!!

Here is a pic from another member...

yellow004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The throttle lock function of the Throttlemeister set-up does perform admirably. Hoping for them to help with the bar buzz will lead to dissapointment.

I searched and couldn't come to any definitive conclusion based on advice from FJR experienced riders.
As most of you know, FJR does have vibes in the grips above/around 60-70 mph cruising in 5th and a heavy bar end weight would help reduce that. NJ LEOs are fucking with me, so I haven't ventured yet above 80 (it's hard to do!) to know how it feels at higher speeds and / or higher RPMs in 4th, etc. FWIW I have bought a V-1 and also looking for a perfect concealment solution. I also bought a remote display and a remote audio unit.

The heaviest bar-end weight I came across is about 13oz by Top Gun.

What's your experience with this or other weights?

Why do I feel a phone call coming in very shortly?? :lol:

I'm sorry, but the Throttlemeister sucks! Plain and simple. I had occasion to ride 1100 miles on a Throttlemeister equipped FJR recently, and as much as I honestly tried, I could not get to the point where I could feel any love towards that piece of shit. Compared to the VistaCruise, it is soooo much more complicated to engage. I know of a couple others on this forum who feel the same way, but for some reason don't say so. One has had the throttlemeister on for all 30k or so miles, and "never uses that piece of shit", just using it as bar-end weights at this point.

As for bar-end weights. I have the Top Gun version, and while they are pretty, I don't think they made much difference in vibes on my FJR. As said above, this is all very subjective and personal, but for me, grips (Tacky Grand Touring) and the Power Commander reduced perceived vibes the most. Also, Heli bar risers reduced the pressure of my hands on the grips helping also.

BTW, vibes do lessen above 80mph IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have and love the 'heavy' throttlemeisters. I have found that they do help eliminate the pronounced buzz that exists at or about 4000 rpm. Sradek, I think you'd find that the buzz tapers off noticeably after about 4500 rmp, that is if you can find a LEO free piece o' road.

I have the Top Guns & am reasonably happy with them. That said, more buzz reduction occurred as the miles tickled the odometer than anything else. Still have a little buzz at 4700, but I have to think about it to notice it. IMNSHO, YMMV, etc etc

I'm sorry, but the Throttlemeister sucks! Plain and simple.
I have to disagree. I bought the heavy version of the TM and I'm happy with it. It had some effect on bar vibes, but the unauthorized TBS did a lot more. I find the operation of the TM to be relatively simple, and it has a much nicer appearance than the Vistacruise, which I've used on other bikes. The TM also seems to lock the throttle more reliably, at least for me.

Each to his own, I guess. B)

I know of a couple others on this forum who feel the same way, but for some reason don't say so. One has had the throttlemeister on for all 30k or so miles, and "never uses that piece of shit", just using it as bar-end weights at this point.
Hey, I would never call a farkle on my bike that has been there almost 40K miles "a piece of shit". OK maybe this one. :D

Eye candy only for me I'm afraid, not a very ergonomic throttle lock farkle. I have to admit the vista cruise is a much better idea IMO. Though they both don't address maintaining constant speed on various gradient, only an electronic CC can address this. <_<

I've ran everything bar-end-wise from the stockers to nothing to some home made 304 SS bar ends that probably out weigh the salamanders. Only speed( smooths out nicely above 4700 rpms) , tacki-grips,an open handed relaxed grip and keeping my weight off my arms helped to reduce numb bar buzzed hands.

I'll give the grip pups a try when I come across some, several have mentioned they help.