Heli Bar install time?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rideon67

Reaction score
The Helibar website says about 1.5 hours to install on a FJR. OK. Now can y'all give me a realistic start to finish estimate? Please include the risers if that changes the time. I realize the time will vary greatly with skill and tools available. Well this is going to be done at the ---shudder--- dealer. He has not done a FJR. Yes, I know. I'm real real nervous. Buncha hacks that can't find their a$$ with both hands yada yada, but I'm up against it, no longer able to do my own wrenching due to physical probs.

I've read the complete install instructions and can't see the $200 quote for labor there.

Thanks

The Helibar website says about 1.5 hours to install on a FJR. OK. Now can y'all give me a realistic start to finish estimate? Please include the risers if that changes the time. I realize the time will vary greatly with skill and tools available. Well this is going to be done at the ---shudder--- dealer. He has not done a FJR. Yes, I know. I'm real real nervous. Buncha hacks that can't find their a$$ with both hands yada yada, but I'm up against it, no longer able to do my own wrenching due to physical probs.
I've read the complete install instructions and can't see the $200 quote for labor there.

Thanks
I've installed two of them now, my first one took my three hours 'cause I took my time and triple read the instructions. Second one came in at about 1.5 hours. Risers add maybe 10-15 minutes.

Too bad you're not closer, I'd help you out for the cost of some beer and/or pie.

Is it possible to install the helibars and risers without taking the fairing apart? I look in and see special fasteners and things and don't know how to take the plastic off or put it back together. So if it can be done without taking everything apart, I am inclined to do it myself, otherwise wanting to get assistance or pay someone to do it for me.

No need to take any plastic off. I didn't have to much trouble but you want to be careful when cutting the wire cages. Probably the hardest part of the process is drilling out the ignition switch to remove it from the OEM triple tree. I would recommend that you do the mod yourself for a couple of reasons: 1) you know that the work was right and 2) you will gain skill and confidence. I really like phroenips approach of reading the instructions 3 times and really taking your time. Good luck and maybe have a skilled friend over for a couple of beers when you do the job (wait until the mod is done before sucking down the suds).

No need to take any plastic off. I didn't have to much trouble but you want to be careful when cutting the wire cages. Probably the hardest part of the process is drilling out the ignition switch to remove it from the OEM triple tree. I would recommend that you do the mod yourself for a couple of reasons: 1) you know that the work was right and 2) you will gain skill and confidence. I really like phroenips approach of reading the instructions 3 times and really taking your time. Good luck and maybe have a skilled friend over for a couple of beers when you do the job (wait until the mod is done before sucking down the suds).
Seriously? You have to drill out the ignition switch to install risers? Why?

Sorry Just reread it, I thought it was just the risers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've installed two of them now, my first one took my three hours 'cause I took my time and triple read the instructions. Second one came in at about 1.5 hours. Risers add maybe 10-15 minutes.

Too bad you're not closer, I'd help you out for the cost of some beer and/or pie.

Thanks for the estimate & kind offer. Rarely had beer & pie at the same time but certainly not out of the question if you're in the neighborhood.

Last time I had work done at a dealer was tire replacement on my XS11. Rear is tube type with bead locks. A real biatch. Two days later in the left lane at 75MPH the front blew. Total loss of pressure / control in 1 second. Dealer pinched the tube. Sure hope this dealer is a little better..........

You have to drill out the heads of the security bolts that hold the ignition switch on to the triple tree, it's the only way to get them off (okay, I guess you could weld a nut on to the top of them and turn them out, but it's a lot easier to drill).

I just did mine a few weeks ago and it probably took 2 hours, being very careful. I had to download the instructions from the Heli website since the guy I bought them from didn't include them (or any of the $25 special hardware, but we won't get into that) and couldn't get any of the pictures to download with it, so it took me a little longer to make sense of the instructions. It really isn't too complicated, just make sure to lay some towels on your plastic to keep from scratching it up with the handlebars.

Last edited by a moderator: