Heli-Bar question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
So with the new triple clamp I have less weight on the bars now, and am getting a little more road action tranfered into the bars. Should I take a little out of the compression and rebound dampening on the forks to smooth out the bars. one click or two maybe? Did about 700 miles this weekend and the road felt a little rougher. I do need new tires as I have about 8000 on the Metzlers, but it was smoother just before the new install.

So with the new triple clamp I have less weight on the bars now, and am getting a little more road action tranfered into the bars. Should I take a little out of the compression and rebound dampening on the forks to smooth out the bars. one click or two maybe? Did about 700 miles this weekend and the road felt a little rougher. I do need new tires as I have about 8000 on the Metzlers, but it was smoother just before the new install.

Try changing tires first. I've found that new tires smooth out the ride. I guess the rubber in old tires becomes less compliant with age and use.

Shouldn't the first step in any suspension adjustment be to re-check your sag? Your weight should have shifted to the rear a bit with a more upright riding position, no?

Well yea, but you can't do much to the rear end can you? Soft and Hard are the two choices, and I run soft when alone and hard with two up, which is most of the time. I'm going to drop a couple of clicks on the front and see what happens, I don't want to put on tires just yet, until I start getting ready for the LOE 1000. I want em kinda fresh for that one! :clapping:

Need a bit more information about the "road action." What, specifically, are you referring to? What is happening now that wasn't happening before?

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops, forgot about the limitations of the stock rear shock (LOVE my Penske).

You can still set front sag. And yes, as R1byker says, new tires will change the road feel completely.