helibars modofication?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
recently added the helibar riders that raise the bars and move them back a bit. definite improvement but I find I'd like the grip location somewhat higher still and probably rotated forward a bit.

I'm considering getting a spacer made to do this but wondered if anyone had gone there before me. (I did a search but didn't find any discussion of what I'm considering.)

thx in advance for any help.

I've seen references to stacked risers, but that won't do anything for the rotating forward bit. Apparently there's enough cable to put two sets of risers on, but I'd sure worry about clearance with a tank bag or something then.

I have put the helibar system on my 2006 AE and have the bars in the rear position. Too much "pointing down" angle to suit me, although MUCH better than stock. I don't think you can put risers on the Gen II helibar and still get the cables to work if you have the bars in the rear position. However, I made some aluminum strips about 1.75 inches long, 0.5 inch wide and 1/8 thick with stock from Home Depot. Then put a small slot in the bar to clear the outside pin in the bar and slid them in under the outside surface of the bar between the bar and the helibar riser. Then clamped everything down. This raises the bar ends about an inch, making the bars closer to parallel with the ground (not parallel, but closer). This is much more comfortable for me and raises the handgrips as well as improving that angle. I can send pics this evening if anyone wants to see them. The little covers that hold the bolts still work with this scheme and it is solid. tighten the socket head screw first and then tighten the large nut. If you tighten the large nut first, you could break the bar casting pulling it down. Of course the really pro way to do this is the machine an angled spacer to match the bar mounting surface, but this works just fine and is secure.

Motorcycle-ed

Lancaster, SC