Helibars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Do any of you guys run the Helibars and are they worth it? Are they much more comfortable on longer trips and how do they perform in the twistys? If you have them would you do it again and did you order with the risers to sit up straighter? Last question, did they make the front end feel much more stable?

Do any of you guys run the Helibars and are they worth it? Are they much more comfortable on longer trips and how do they perform in the twistys? If you have them would you do it again and did you order with the risers to sit up straighter? Last question, did they make the front end feel much more stable?
Yes, Yes, Great, Yes, No, Yes.

So far, I like the improved position without the risers. I have a Corbin seat, though, so I am already lowered (instead of the bars being raised). It's a very comfortable position for me. The Steering is more like the first gen FJRs with the bars attached at the pivot point instead of in front of it. Dunno if that makes a difference, but it sure feels nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
+11111!!!!

Before adding them, my hands would get numb after only about 30 miles...my thumbs especially. After adding them I can now go an entire tank of gas and feel no discomfort in my hands or my neck. The position is more upright and the only drawback is that I am now getting more helmet buffeting (6'0' with a 33" inseam) but I had that anyway, this just made it even more noticable.

Now some people are partial towards other risers and I think it's a lot like windscreens. Heli's may not work for you, but I know that for me they did the trick and it only set me back $55.

I know that for me they did the trick and it only set me back $55.

only $55 ? i guess you were talking about the 01 - 05 FJR ?

they are a bunch more expensive for the 06 - 07 bikes.

i have a set for my 06, but have not yet had the chance (or $$$) to have them installed yet.

jason

i have a set for my 06, but have not yet had the chance (or $$$) to have them installed yet.

jason
Ooops, forgot about the price difference between the old Heli bars and the ones for the '06. So the '06 owners gave up the built n heater AND they have to pay more for risers....bummer! :)

i have a set for my 06, but have not yet had the chance (or $$) to have them installed yet.

jason
Ooops, forgot about the price difference between the old Heli bars and the ones for the '06. So the '06 owners gave up the built n heater AND they have to pay more for risers....bummer! :)
No, the risers are still only about $60. You just have to buy a $300 triple clamp to mount them. See?

I have 'em and would buy 'em again. I am more comfortable, I have a 72" reach and haven't bought the risers yet, probably will this spring when I do some long distance hauls (1k days). The front end felt "different" when I put them on, but a lot of it was my front tire wear and feathering pretty badly. After a new set of tread alls good and the Heli triple clamps don't slow you down in the twistys.

My advice- put a few thousand on the bike first. I thought I wanted them and a new seat until I did Master Yoda (a search term). Now I am quite happy with stock bars and stock seat. In fact thinking about moving the bars forard to the most forward position.

My advice- put a few thousand on the bike first. I thought I wanted them and a new seat until I did Master Yoda (a search term). Now I am quite happy with stock bars and stock seat. In fact thinking about moving the bars forard to the most forward position.
I agree. At first I thought I needed something like the Helibars for my 2006. Still working on my "mastery" of the Master Yoda position but it helped alot. I didn't realize how much I was placing all of my weight on my hands/wrists. My shoulders (especially right one) couldn't last more than an hour on the bike. Now it's a completely different story - much more comfortable.

I agree. At first I thought I needed something like the Helibars for my 2006. Still working on my "mastery" of the Master Yoda position but it helped alot. I didn't realize how much I was placing all of my weight on my hands/wrists. My shoulders (especially right one) couldn't last more than an hour on the bike. Now it's a completely different story - much more comfortable.
I am not in a hurry to drop any more cash that I have lately either so I think I will hold off for a bit and try some different sitting positions. I have started having trouble with my left wrist and it feeling very weak after a few hours of riding. I see that the bars on an 06 are adjustable. What does that mean? I read on Yamaha's website that the bars are adjustable into 3 positions. Thanks for all of the suggestions and I think I will hold off for now after taking a good look at the last 2 posts.

I just installed the triple clamp and it took all pain from behind my neck. I also had the power commander installed and what a difference. A must install. Everett