hella ff50 - driving or fog lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I'm adding FF50s to my bike using Garauld's brackets. They seem to represent a good balance of performance and price.

But do I want driving or fog lights?

Some info:

- I live in CO mountains so deer are a very large danger here.

- I am not much concerned with being seen by other drivers. There aren't many at night where I live.

- I drive much slower at night because of deer, ~50 maybe 60.

Thanks for suggestions.

I think that you want KC Pods. A bit pricey, but if you avoid one deer at night they will seem a bargain. Please document the install and pricing for us. hehe

I have the FF50s, and I would not trust them to avoid anything at high speed, but they are a vast improvement over stock and a good bargain. In Indiana the deer come out of the trees and corn stalks, so no light will help.

Driving lights are what you want I think. If you are riding around in the fog you won't last long anyway.

I run the FF50 driving lights on mine, and I've spotted a few deer before they had a chance to splatter me.

I likes deez:

IMG_1960.jpg

On the twisty roads here in Missouri, the FF50 fog pattern work very well lighting up the sides of the road and right of way where the deer like to hang out before they jump in your way. :)

While I run Hella MIcro DE Xenon HIDs, I looked at this thread anyway.

The KCLites you've recommended won't fit on Garauld's brackets, being more than 7 inches in diameter.

70 watt HIDs - they ought to be bright - but $1062 EACH???? No spec on their output - for comparison purposes, knowing how many lumens these things punch out would be helpful Where would you buy replacement bulbs?

Seems you won't have to buy bulbs - at these prices, their warranty is 23 YEARS, bulbs included.

Now, they DO offer a 35 watt dual reflector motorcycle driving light for $1044 a set, but those should fit, being only 5" in diameter - they're shown mounted on ha Hardley light bar here:

https://www.kchilites.com/store/5-HID-Motor...me-P453C94.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank,

I was just funning, I am pretty happy with the FF50s. Great bang for the buck. ...but I am not an IBA desert rat.

The pods look cool, but at 70 watts too big for a bike prolly.

BTW, are the Baja Soltek customers happy?

We haven't heard from them much after their water issues.

Definitely the driving lights, not the fog lights. Why would you want colored lenses blocking some of the light if you are not driving in fog? Mine are wired to go on with the high beams, and I use the Hella switch in case I want high beams without the Hellas. Aim them wide so you can scan the shoulder. Someone recommended crossing the beams so the left one lights up the right shoulder and vice versa, but I haven't tried that yet.

Someone recommended crossing the beams...
Haven't you heard. that would be a bad thing?

200px-Ghostbusters_Poster.jpg

CrossingBeams.jpg

Or:

IMG_1985.jpg

WOW, what are those??? I want some! :clapping:
Solteks:

70 watt HIDs - they ought to be bright - but $1062 EACH????
Now, they DO offer a 35 watt dual reflector motorcycle driving light for $1044 a set...
Solteks (35W each) are retail $389.00 each, the group buy was for $575.00 a set, but getting some more brackets might be an issue.

70 watt HIDs - they ought to be bright - but $1062 EACH????
Now, they DO offer a 35 watt dual reflector motorcycle driving light for $1044 a set...
Solteks (35W each) are retail $389.00 each, the group buy was for $575.00 a set, but getting some more brackets might be an issue.
Yeah, but the Solteks leak AND they don't carry 23 year warranties.

Besides I scored my Hellas for $250 for the pair on Ebay and those fit on Garauld's brackets - too bad I was shy about the brand new OEM air filter & full exhaust system the other week ($100 for all)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I went with the driving lights. Thanks for the advice.