Hella FF50 HID conversion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryg8r

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a set of H7 hids and installed in the Hella FF50 housing? Would this be a good idea?

Derek

Has anyone bought a set of H7 hids and installed in the Hella FF50 housing? Would this be a good idea?
Derek
Warchild borrowed my set of FF50s and tried with a set of H7 HIDs he had for another bike. He said there was light coming out at weird angles with hot spots and weak spots all over the place. Poor results he said. ......he'll probably add details when he spots this thread.

Also, they would require drilling and sealing up the back of the ABS housing (can you say big glob of RTV?) as well as the original wire spot (another glob?). The increased clearance of the HIDs don't fit very well within the housing.

Too bad though. An economical and efficient reflector, looks good on the bike, and was potentially could have been as effective as PHIDs for about 1/3 the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm far more interested in converting a set of FF200's or the 500 driving light. Should be a big enough reflector to handle the HID lamp?

JimH

Grumpy,

I ,too, was thinking of buying a set of halogen FF200s now and later converting to HID. I checked wih Hella and, for some reason, they say it can't be done.

dobias <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ordered a set of FF200 conventional amber fog lights for my pickup. Warchild has a set of the HID lights and we're going to try and test to see if they work by chance. Not that we want to convert over amber fogs to HID, but see if the conventional reflector lends itself to HID conversion or not.

Probably be in January before that's done, but if we get to test--we'll post results.