Hella FF50s and AutoSwitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting the items necessary to install Hella FF50 auxiliary lights. Garauld sent me a set of his light brackets, and the light kit is on order from an eBay store.

My question is about a switch for the lights. I don't mind adding a separate switch for them, but would prefer not to. In researching alternatives, I came across the AutoSwitch Driving Light Control from Cycle Gadgets. With this switch installed, toggling the high beams on for about a second and then off turns on the auxiliary lights; repeat to the process to turn the aux lights off.

The only downside seems to be the delay in turning the lights off when you hit some oncoming traffic.

Anyone have any experience with an AutoSwitch for auxiliary lights?

Nope. I just hooked the relay to switch 'em on with the high beams, since they're aligned to work with each other anyway. Simple and clean.

I bought some used PIAAs that came with an AutoSwitch. The AutoSwitch install went pretty easy. The components are sized for automobile applications and I had 10 feet of wire to bundle and hide. The 'switch worked as advertised. It drove me nuts. Back apart comes Feejer and out goes the 'switch. I found a simple and effective way to install the PIAA switch under the left switch pod and buried yet another relay in the nose cowl. Ahhh, no hassles and immediate gratification when my buttons are pushed <_<

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the AutoSwitch with my aux lights on the FJR. It works exactly as advertised. There is a slight delay to turn the aux lights on or off, but it is well under a second. I live in a rural area and I don’t use my aux lights around other traffic so the slight delay is not a drawback for me. If you use your aux lights in or around a lot of traffic and need to switch them on/off immediately this is likely not the best product for you. But if you do not need the immediate on/off I find the AutoSwitch to work perfectly for me and it has been installed since 11/03. I actually installed one in my SUV for its aux lights I liked it so well.

Comet