Hellas W/relay light up with starter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockymntfjr

Reaction score
Installed my FF50's with relay and SPDT switch. All is good, off in center, up they come on with high beam, down they come on after engine starts. Problem is even with switch off when I start the bike they light only when starter button is pushed. The relay should not get power to #87 ( hellas ) untill after head lights #86 ( tied in to green wire w/blue stripe on head lite relay ). I thought I may have a bad relay so I got a new one. It's still the same even with the #86 ( switch ) disconected. WTF I dont even see how that is possible? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Got a diagram of yer hookups? You might even find the problem in the process of drawing it out.

85 and 86 are the coil, one should be grounded and the other should tap the headlight circuit (via your switch) to "see" when the lights go on. (I'm assuming the lights are triggered on the 12V side, can't be bothered with the schematic right now, it's suppertime. :) )

30 and 87 would be the switched circuit. 30 should get battery (through a fuse), 87 should go to your lamp, and the other side of the lamp should be grounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a diagram of yer hookups? You might even find the problem in the process of drawing it out.
85 and 86 are the coil, one should be grounded and the other should tap the headlight circuit (via your switch) to "see" when the lights go on. (I'm assuming the lights are triggered on the 12V side, can't be bothered with the schematic right now, it's suppertime. :) )

30 and 87 would be the switched circuit. 30 should get battery (through a fuse), 87 should go to your lamp, and the other side of the lamp should be grounded.
Yep that's how I have it. 85 goes to ground, 86 is the switch. 30 goes to fused power strip switched (from stock headlight relay). 87 goes to 12V side of Hella"s then lamps to ground.

All works fine except Hella's light up on start up when starter switch is pushed. I put a curcuit tester on 87 relay of my switched power strip (where 30 on my Hella relay goes to). The tester lights up when starter is pushed even with 86 (switched from stock headlight relay) is disconected??? I even took out the fuse going to 30 on the Hella relay and they still light up on start up???

Like I said they work fine, I just don't want the power draw on start up. What I can't understand is how they light with the fuse pulled to 30 and the 86 switch disconected.

Any ideas?

Thanks much,

Andy

I can't help you with the issue other than to say it sounds like your source isn't what you think it is. However, if the relay you are using has a pin 87a as well, I'd recommend you switch your connections at 30 and 87. Because pin 87a is the NC part of the relay, any power going to pin 30 is passing through to pin 87a which can lead to a short. Just a thought.

I would pick up 30 straight off the battery, not a switched source. There's no reason for it to be switched, as the relay isn't going to trigger unless your lights are on and your switch is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I found the problem. The switched power strip relay was powered from the starter relay. Positive tap was ok (goes straight to battery positive) but negitive tap was not. I think power was some how making it to the Hella's through the ground. The Hella's would light up when the starter switch was pushed, even with the fuse pulled and switch disconected.

I moved the ground from the starter relay to the battery. All is good! :)

Thanks for the input,

Andy