Hello from Vermont, and some q's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekker

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am really glad to have found you during my search for a bike. I have been ALL OVER the place, cruisers, naked, adventure-touring, and now sport-touring!

I really think I have at least decided this much.......I am getting an ST!

Now, back to my more-narrowly-defined search.......

I had a chance to check out the ST1300 today, nice, very comfortable sitting in the showroom!

As nobody has an FJR around, thought someone who has checked out both 06 models could give me some impressions. I gather from my searches and lurking that the FJR leans more to the sport, and the ST toward tour?

How about riding position, seat height, feet placement, anything?

Oh, if this was not the best place for my ramblings/questions, someone please let me know and I can post another version elsewhere. (Short, concise version!) :haha:

Thanks, and I hope to be joining your ranks soon!

T

Since no one has ridden an '06 here stateside, you won't get any reviews. However, the European bikes are beginning to show up, so you may wanna check out https://www.fjrowners.ws/ . There are a couple of posts about the deliviered '06's.

Now, having said that: Go with the FJR if you lean more toward the sport side. Go with the ST if you're an old woman, drive an Accord, laze in your Barcolounger, smoke a pipe and wear slippers... :D

Hi Twowheelnut,

Does 4 out of 5 count?

It's a Civic. :p

Nah, that's what I am seeing the more I learn about the two.....FJR = Fun seems to be the general theme!

I looked at a Triumph Sprint ST, Nice, but not quite there I guess.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I looked at a Triumph Sprint ST, Nice, but not quite there I guess.
I was leaning heavily towards the Sprint ST - my dad used to ride BSA's, and I kinda wanted to keep up the "Brit Bike" tradition.

Until I rode one - it's much more sport than even the FJR - I don't consider them to even be in the same class.

That was my feeling as well, though I only got to sit on it.

I found a web ad for the 06 from an out of state dealer;

Had it listed as "$13,499 - $11,599 order price only." The guy I spoke with there said, "yeah, that was the price if you ordered it before December, your price will be 13 plus prep."

Was the deal that much better if you ordered in advance?

I'm wondering if I should hold off and order the 07 for next year, ride something else this summer. That is if I decide the FJR is what I really want.

If the deal is that good, it seems that I would get an 07 for cheaper than an 06?

Am I missing something?

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the dealer is trying to take advantage. Some people get the hots for something and lose their perspective of cost just so they can satisfy their wants immediately.

Many people in the forum have bougt from D&H, even though they may have to travel to pick up the bike, because they give a good price and no BS.

You have to think Yamaha would sell a bunch more FJR's if they were on showroom floors. This delayed my opportunity to make an impulse purchase a couple years, until finding a pre-owned FJR.

I spent some time looking at both bikes (05's) before I decided to order an '06 (FJR of course). I was fortunate enough to live near dealer that had an unclaimed FJR on the floor. For TALLER riders (198 cm) like me with long legs (that's 5'18" 4 youz wid English rulers), the FJR is the only choice. Much more knee room. And that's comparing the standard FJR seat to the adjustable Honda seat. Add to that, the bags are much easier to remove (even if they are red and the replacements are lost in China). The FJR has a nimble sporty profile. The ST feels like a Gold Wing with a sport bike faring. And all this is coming from a guy who loved his '71 Honda 750CB. :clap:

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone, I really appreciate it.

I talked to a dealer out of state today who said that he could get one for me, 06 at MSRP.

Same with ordering one for 07, MSRP.

I thought there was a break given to those who pay and commit to buying one later?

I'm really not digging this concept at the moment, the dude at the dealership sounded like he really didn't understand much either!

LOL, well I'm hoping the twisty road leading to my next bike (whatever that is!) will allow me to end up with the best match for me.

Again, thanks so much for your posts, here and on all of the other threads that have been so helpful!

Cheers,

T

Many people in the forum have bougt from D&H, even though they may have to travel to pick up the bike, because they give a good price and no BS.+1

I felt D&H gave me a very fair deal. :clap:

Trekker,

If you'd like to test sit an 04 FJR stop on by and you can test mine out. I live in the Rutland area. Of course, my FJR has the Rick Mayer seat and very soon it'll have the Wilbers setup.

Tom

Hey Snikr,

Thanks for the offer, I think one of the dealers around here is meant to get an 06 in within a couple months. I'll be sure to post any purchase, but I'm thinking it will be an end of season type deal, ready for next year, ya know?

Cheers,

Todd