Hello

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Greetings,

For the last several years now I've been riding with foam earplugs. They have been great, but even with the volume turned all the way up I have difficulty hearing other riders, music or the cell phone through my Autocom Super Pro Avi. I've recently turned my attention to earphones. After reading a number of posts regarding earphones I've learned that I'm more confused now. There are a number of choices ranging from paying a doc to make a mold to be sent out and custom earphones made to Ultimate or Big ears earphones. However, I am not wanting to pay more than, say $50 for a pair of earphones. Has anyone here found a descent earphone that won't deeplete my savings, yet provide quality sound as well as silencing outside noise?

Also, I think I could create a plug/block that will accept the two mics (voice and ambient noise) as well as for earphones for the Autocom set-up. If any of you have already done something like this, would you care to reveal your secrets? I've also considered Bluetoothing my helmet to the Autocom???

So far I've identified the following potentials:

Sennheiser CX300 ~ $60

Etymotics Er6i ~ $150

Westone UM1 ~ $110

Comply ~ $60 (Webikeworld.com gave a descent review

Thanks in advance for your insights

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Etymotic ER6i headphones. After using them on my trip to Reno and back they worked flawlessly!!

They were comfortable and isolated the noise very well. There were times when I just turned down the volume and rode in silence. I would recommend them.

If you get them from Amazon, Here they are much more reasonable.

Good luck with your decision....

B)

Tried a bunch. I thought the Etymotics were really good but the wires were just way too fragile. For a while now, I have been riding with the $59 Skullcandy set of earbuds from Circuit City, using the included silicone plugs, rather than the foamies. They really do block sound and that is the first key. The second key is how well they make music and the difference between the $29 and $59 products from the same company is incredible. It all depends on how they fit you, but mine do and I've been easily as pleased as with some of the +$100 earbuds I've tried.

Bob

I have the $15 - $25 (can't remember, but cheap) Skullcandy plugs for my daily commute and the $100 Shure plugs for long rides.

The Shure plugs are a bit long, so it's a PITA to get your helmet on over them, but they're rated at blocking 93% of ambient noise. Might actually block a bit too much, as I noticed I was in 4th on the highway a couple of times - could only hear the engine note up to about 3K RPM. Also a bit nervous-making in terms of hearing sirens - not sure if that frequency falls into the 7% audible range.

The Skullcandy plugs aren't marked L or R and have their logo as a raised monogram on the bud itself. I haven't tried the Skullcandy for more than a couple of hours, so I don't know if the raised bit would eventually cause ear pain. Either type absolutely crushes the active noise canceling earbuds I tried. They also block much more noise than run-of-the-mill Sony earbuds.

I don't have personal experience on a motorcycle with this idea, but here's a cheap option to try. A guy at work took some foam earplugs and melted a hole into the middle of them using a hot soldering iron. Then he pushed his favorite mini earphones into the newly created holes and then inserted the whole assembly into his ears. He claims they really enhance the sound of the earphones and block out other noises. He also claims that a lot less volume is needed to hear his music. Worth a try...

I don't have personal experience on a motorcycle with this idea, but here's a cheap option to try. A guy at work took some foam earplugs and melted a hole into the middle of them using a hot soldering iron. Then he pushed his favorite mini earphones into the newly created holes and then inserted the whole assembly into his ears. He claims they really enhance the sound of the earphones and block out other noises. He also claims that a lot less volume is needed to hear his music. Worth a try...

Great idea; but what kind of mini earphone is he using that can fit into a foam earplug?

I am eyeballing a pair of Skullcandy Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) earphones for around $40. Seems to be the best buck for your hearing pleasure.

Any further thoughts?

Great idea; but what kind of mini earphone is he using that can fit into a foam earplug?
He's using Griffin earphones like THESE which he claims sound better than Ipod brand ones or even a fancy $60 set he bought. One clarification; he abandoned the hot solder iron trick for getting the required hole because it permanently softened the foam which causes the hole to collapse for too long after inserting the plug in his ear. The new and improved method is to use a hole punch to make the hole.

I never ride with audio, so can't comment on the effectiveness of his earplugs.

I'm leaning strongly towards the SkullCandy Full Metal Jacket earphones as they normally retail for $70 and I think I can get them for around $40; And that several of you here seem to think they're OK.

Now the question is, has anybody modified their Autocom headset to accept earphones? I've been thinking of several options, but the easiest seems to be just splicing the two Autocom speaker wires at a convenient location within the hemet to an 1/8" audio jack so I'll only need to plug the earphones into the spliced audio jack. Any thoughts on this arrangement?

What alternatives have you thought of?

Thanks for the heads-up. Just checked, though it's a nice accessory, $42 is a bit steep. It'll cost me approx. $2 to do it myself.

EDIT:

OK, figured out I'll need a 100ohm resistor...Damn them anyway! Unless I can build it to look professional I'l leave it to the professionals. That being the case, looks like I'll be going to Autocom for some parts.

Here is an idea from a BMW forum member. I may consider this as a viable option as it seems quite painless; both mechanically and financially. Anybody here try something similar? This way I'll keep using earplugs while the increased volume the Koss speakers are able to produce should be enough to compensate.

I just completed the Koss speaker conversion. Can't tell how much louder they are compared to Autocom's while standing next to the bike. There is no cracking or buzzing noticed when volume is high. Heading to WV this weekend, I'll report back about their performance.