Helmet and ER6i earphones enhancement...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I have installed one of my best farkles ever. It made my helmet quiet and my ER6i earphones better sounding and more comfortable. It is a Rifle Windshield (+5 inches tall and +4 inches wide). I am 5 ft 11 inches tall, have a 32-inch inseam, and weigh 210 lbs. I have a Russell seat that is an inch or two higher than stock. I can put both feet down flat at a stop even with the Russell seat.

I was happy with my tall CalSci windshield with Skyway Spacers until I started using a Russell seat. The Skyways spacers did scar my fairing :angry2: . The extra height of the seat put the top of my helmet at the edge of turbulent air at speeds over 70 mph. The CalSci was louder and with more turbulence if I was following traffic. I had to have my ER6i earphones plugged in deeply (to the point of discomfort sometimes) and perfectly to keep out wind noise. I also tended to ride with the face shield open, as this was quieter than with the face shield down. The CalSci shield was okay but not great. Even prior to the Russell seat the CalSci shield tended to be slightly noisy when following traffic.

With the Rifle Shield my ride is much quieter, my helmet is quiet with the helmet face shield up or down. The ER6i earplugs do not have to be inserted as deeply into my ear so they are much more comfortable and they block the wind noise almost completely. With the shield all the way up I can see over the top of the shield if I sit with very upright posture. It is very quiet if I sit normally and look thru the shield. With the shield lower and with normal posture I can see over it easily and still have very quiet air around me. The shield is wider at the top and I think this combined with the Rifle angle brackets more effectively prevent turbulence and noise even in traffic on the interstate. The bubble of quiet air is large and stable.

The quality appears to be good, the edges are nicely polished, and the fit and finish are about perfect. I don't like the dumb plastic screws but I guess I would rather have the safety of plastic screws.

If you want airflow in warm weather this may not be the shield for you. It is perfect for me since I prefer very quiet air or very clean air. With this shield I get very quiet air even while looking over the top. If it gets too hot I will cut down my stock shield or ride my wife’s naked SV650 :D .

Glad I spent the bucks.

I miss my Gen-2 Rifle. The turbulence factor was almost nonexistent.

So far, they're not available for an 08 :angry2:

Why wouldn't a Rifle shield that fits an 06 and 07, fit an 08?

BTW, I have extremely satisfied with the Rifle shield on my Gen I '04 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
rfulcher, where did you purchase your Rifle windshield?
Rifle.com

Oh yea, one thing I forgot. The Suzuki V-Strom hand guards do bump the shield if it is lowered. No big deal for me, I won't use the handguards most of the year. This is only an issue if moving the bike and turning the bars near full lock.

Ross

Yes, the +4 wide will bump the V-Strom knuckle guards. So I trimmed the bottom edges of the shield to adjust to the fit with the added guards.

Beats me, Mine is on an 07 and my review only applies to the 06-08 FJRs. Earlier models used a different shield.

Yes, the +4 wide will bump the V-Strom knuckle guards. So I trimmed the bottom edges of the shield to adjust to the fit with the added guards.
I just ordered the touring I'm 5'7 will that solve my problems.

Shield height is a VERY subjective thing. And people's torso's are different heights as well.

But for me, my Rifle +3 high +4 wide is great for 6'0'' with 31" inseam.

Shield height is a VERY subjective thing. And people's torso's are different heights as well.
But for me, my Rifle +3 high +4 wide is great for 6'0'' with 31" inseam.
the +3 might have worked for me without the added inche(s) of the Russell seat. However if I didn't have the Russell seat I would stell have the CalSCi large. Kind of glad I had to make the change. I think the Rifle shield controls air flow and turbulance much more effectively than the CalSci.

Angus,

I have the Rifle Touring for 1st gen on right now. Be advised, that is one big hunk o' lexan. This shield gives me the most coverage of any shield I've ever used including the V-stream. I am quite a bit taller in the saddle than you (6'2", 32" inseam, Russell seat and Heli Bar-backs) and just the very top of my helmet is in the breeze at full up.

At your height you will easily be able to get behind the shield fully (and look through the shield if you want) at full up. But at less than full up you'll probably find there is a perfect spot that provides full - quiet coverage and you are still peering over the top.

Be aware that you will hate this windshield in the hot summer months. You'll need to do the SSS (Seasonal Shield Shuffle) like me.

Be aware that you will hate this windshield in the hot summer months. You'll need to do the SSS (Seasonal Shield Shuffle) like me.
Not necessarily. I used to do the seasonal swap. No more. The Rifle in the all the way down position allows quite a bit of air to hit the rider. Plus, I found that even in the summer months when hitting rain, or cooler night temps, the Rifle is still much superior than stock. Also, at speeds north of 120, the Rifle is definitely the shield you want. The stocker is just too turbulent. At high velocities, put the Rifle up about a quarter of the way, duck down just a bit, and you are good to go.

I keep my Rifle on all summer long here in Arizona.

Not necessarily. I used to do the seasonal swap. No more. The Rifle in the all the way down position allows quite a bit of air to hit the rider. Plus, I found that even in the summer months when hitting rain, or cooler night temps, the Rifle is still much superior than stock. Also, at speeds north of 120, the Rifle is definitely the shield you want. The stocker is just too turbulent. At high velocities, put the Rifle up about a quarter of the way, duck down just a bit, and you are good to go.

I keep my Rifle on all summer long here in Arizona.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat...

You must have developed a superior tolerance for heat, is what I'm thinkin'. ;)

No, you'll still be 5'7".

:rofl:

Latest posts