Helmet Guardian users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveFJR

Reaction score
Just installed a helmet guardian on the feej and having some issues.

1. Put the helmet in the guardian and it touches the tail pipe.

When the tailpipe is cold this wouldn't be an issue but, pipe is not cold after a ride of any length. What do you guys do to over come this? Is is okay to still put the helmet on there? Have this fear of the helmet or face shield melting.

2. Other mounting option? Another way to mount this? Upside down or something? THought there was a thread on this some time ago.

Other than that, a good piece of solid equipment. Still can't believe there is no where to lock up a helmet on a touring bike. What idiot designer came up with that?

I mounted mine across the top of the license plate. Yes, my helmets touch the muffler but I've never had a problem with them scorching. When I hang 2 helmets (some riding companions have no means to lock their helmets) I use the center stand. Again, I've not had an issue in 70K+ miles.

Mine touches the muffler but the contact point is pretty small. I just make sure it's resting on the top/back part of the helmet. No issues and no marks on the helmet for me.

I've been putting one of my leather gloves between the helmet and the back of the pipe for years. No damage to the pipe, gloves, or helmet. The other glove sits between the helmet and the reflector under the license plate.

Yep, mounted top o' plate. Never noticed any issues. I just make sure the hard shell is touching rather than the other softer bits (helmet fabric, cosmetic trim piece at the bottom of the helmet).

Scott

Drop an email/PM to TownsendsFJR1300 he makes a neat custom bracket that mounts to the side of the FJR to bolt the Helmet Guardian locks on. He now DOES make these to fit the GenII.

Helmet Guardian Bracket

I fitted these locks to the panels on the Givi rack which enables the helmet to rest on the seat and not get filled up with water if it happens to rain, otherwise I'd have gotten his bracket.

Thanks for the information guys. Have emailed townsend. Also good to know that no damage will come to the helmets. Will say the other day walking around not toting those things was reas nice. Would get one of these things for the GF's GS but am thinking it is will be posted for sale REAL SOON.

Just installed a helmet guardian on the feej and having some issues.
1. Put the helmet in the guardian and it touches the tail pipe.

When the tailpipe is cold this wouldn't be an issue but, pipe is not cold after a ride of any length. What do you guys do to over come this? Is is okay to still put the helmet on there? Have this fear of the helmet or face shield melting.

2. Other mounting option? Another way to mount this? Upside down or something? THought there was a thread on this some time ago.

Other than that, a good piece of solid equipment. Still can't believe there is no where to lock up a helmet on a touring bike. What idiot designer came up with that?
i actually use a gun lock to secure helmet to bike. works great and you can hook it in multiple places on the bike.

QUOTE (MojaveFJR @ Apr 19 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the information guys. Have emailed townsend. Also good to know that no damage will come to the helmets. Will say the other day walking around not toting those things was reas nice. Would get one of these things for the GF's GS but am thinking it is will be posted for sale REAL SOON.

I e-mailed you back just a couple ago.

As a side note, I did have a customer about 2 years ago post his concern about resting his helmet on the hot pipes using the standard HG on the tag bracket. He sent his helmet back to the manufacturer and did find some damage to the internals (which couldn't be seen from the outside). If mounting near/against the muffler, I would either let it cool down some or put something inbetween the muffler and your lid no mattter what your using..

Just an FYI, with the changes made between the Gen I bikes and the Gen II bikes, the original helmet lock bracket (for the Gen I) would not fit the Gen II. New brackets were eventually designed and available for the Gen II bikes with some options for an electrical outlet tab(s), either side.

Under "Vendor offers" is my original post as well as pic's and information about re-keying the lock assembly to match your ignition key, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting information townsend. Never thought about the heat transfer through the shell doing damage. Then again, more than sure it affects the glue and high density styrofoam inside.

Have your email write up. Am considering purchasing, other things on the plate. Wish I would of seen your posting first, makes a bit more sense to be strapped to the side of the bike and they look a bit more secure from banging around.

Back to the guardian. Did run the bike for about 100 miles, put the helmet on there and true to fellow inmates words, there was no damage (melting) of the shell. Would be a more comfortable feeling to have some nomex type material between the pipes and the helmet. Might have to modify up an ov-glove or something.