Helmet Guardian

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getsum

Reaction score
Here's a link:

https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/produ...p?Item=GUARDIAN

I ordered one of these and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I tried doing a search but didn't come across any threads so I decided to start one. It looks easy enough to install but it's going to be tight with the bags on the bike.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

A lot of people have them and like them. Some have reported difficulties with having helmets positioned where they rest on the (potentially hot) exhaust.

I've run these for about 3 years. I moved them to the top of the license plate and also turned the locks over to increase the clearance above the exhaust. I understand that you can get these rekeyed so that the ignition switch will work them......I didn't do this as I found the extra key to not be a problem. Now, after doing all I could to get above the exhaust, you'll find that the helmets will still touch the outside of the exhaust.........I found this not to be a problem as the outside of the "can" doesn't appear to be hot enough to cause a problem.

There's a guy in Florida that's making brackets to hold these locks, individually, on the side of the bike on the cross piece that holds the seat lock. If you want to email me at [email protected], I'll relay his email address. I've not seen or used these, but thought it a good solution to the helmet locking issue?

I have one and use it. It works best for me if turned upside down as it lifts the helmet higher which keeps it more off the pipe ends. I often fit 2 helmets on it. You can keep it off the pipe ends and even when it touches it has done no damage to my helmets

Give or PM me your email and I can send some pictures if you are interested.

Cool deal, I'll mount it upside down then. I wonder how much it costs to rekey a lock, that might be worth the trouble.

Updated the bin-o-facts (search for re-key helmet guardian) to show how to re-key the cylinders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here for '03-'05 guardian bracket nirvana.

Pictured (never mind the fresh-looking scratches):

IMG_1315.jpg

Still another very satisfied user. I had the cylinders rekeyed by a locksmith to my Ign key for $30.

I recall reading that they won't all take the Yamaha key, so be sure to check that the Ign key will insert into the cylinder. I lucked out, mine fit. I'd like to know who actually makes the HelmetGuardian...I bet they could provide replacement cylinders at a reasonable price,

I find that the muffler never gets hot enough to mar the finish on the helmets. If in doubt, wait a minute or so before locking them on.

OHfjr on this forum makes a nice rack to install a Givi top case and some brackets to hold the helmet locks up high.

I have two, one on the Strom and one on the FJR. Neither can be rekeyed. No big deal. Ijsut carry a spare set with my guardian key, givi key and bike key. One set for each bike. Oh and one key on each ring for my gps lock.

I have had one on the FJR for over 4 years and like the idea of putting the helmets there for quick stops when the cases are full. The exhaust is not hot enough to melt anything as of yet anyway.

Turd in the punchbowl time:

Had a version of the same thing and used it for a while, enjoying the convenience, when I got a new high-end helmet that the then-new girl friend bought me. We went to the beach and locked up the helmets on the bike. Great day till we got back to find somebody'd simply sliced the straps, leaving the D-rings. Very public and expensive area and you wouldn't think somebody would do this so out in the open. They probably sewed new straps in and sold them on FleaBay.

Sorry, but sometimes reality sucks. I throw my helmet in the locked topcase every day.

Bob

I've just recently come up with a bracket (right side only) for the Generation II bikes (2006 and 2007). Below picture is that of it installed with a Helmet Gardian on an 2007 model. No mod's, easy install, works with bags on or off.. Please e-mail me direct at [email protected] should anyone be interested.. Thanks, Scott
upload.jpg

Bob - this can happen w/o the Helmet Guardian and did to me about ten years ago. Someone cut my old helmet off the helmet lock on my BMW. A helmet without a strap = worthless.

MGM

Turd in the punchbowl time:Had a version of the same thing and used it for a while, enjoying the convenience, when I got a new high-end helmet that the then-new girl friend bought me. We went to the beach and locked up the helmets on the bike. Great day till we got back to find somebody'd simply sliced the straps, leaving the D-rings. Very public and expensive area and you wouldn't think somebody would do this so out in the open. They probably sewed new straps in and sold them on FleaBay.

Sorry, but sometimes reality sucks. I throw my helmet in the locked topcase every day.

Bob

Are you saying that the 'helmet guardian" I got for my '03 will not fit my '07. Say it ain't so. I'll try installing it this weekend. If no fit, it will be up for grabs. :angry: